Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going to UAE to teach at ELS Language School in Al Ain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norman42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Going to UAE to teach at ELS Language School in Al Ain Reply with quote

Hi I'm going to teach in ELS Languge School Al Ain any thoughts?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Thought... have you done a search on ELS?

Second Thought.... you rarely get useful answers with vague questions.

VS
norman42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: ESL Language Centers/Middle East Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
First Thought... have you done a search on ELS?

Second Thought.... you rarely get useful answers with vague questions.

VS

Thanks I've done a search nothing comes up. I was wondering about their reputation in Al Ain?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you probably saw in your search, ELS has a very spotty reputation around the Gulf. Much depends on the management of each particular school. Hopefully someone will wander on who knows something about that branch. One problem is that we are in the midst of Eid holidays (and between semesters) over there right now, so lots of people are traveling.

So, we can only wait and see...

Vs
blues clues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: ELS Reply with quote

Working for ELS anywhere in the Mid-east would be a big mistake. PUt it this way, if an institute hirers and firers directors, academic directors, co-ordinators left and right, how do you think they'd be to work for as teachers. It's a revolving door. They have a very bad reputation and it doesn't seem to be improving. The one thing about ELS is that if you are unqualified they well hire you part-time as they are so desperate for "teachers". They hire a lot of women who are either here with their husbands and also hire expat kids to teach, particularly during the summer. They may also hire you fulltime even if you are unqualified and put you under a different job title like "receptionist". It's a disgusting place in that they are basically stealing money from companies and students telling them they have qualified and experienced employees, when it's totally false. They have been trying to hire directors and academic directors for Al Ain and Sharjah for sometime. They've offered the job to friends of mine...again, people with no qualifications to work as teacher's much less directors! Just beware...also the salary is laughable...split shift for 7000 dirhams a month.....and a really bad housing allowance....you must not be qualified to work at other places, or you wouldn't even be thnking of ELS. Ask yourself all the important questions before signing on... and then run the other way! Rolling Eyes
sundevil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mrs. Ramzi is still the Center Director there, you�ll be fine. She will work you hard, so hope you are not looking for a free ride. I found her to be both very helpful and honest, but she will push you to fulfill the terms of your contract.

You must not be well qualified or you would be looking at some of the better schools in the area. Don�t let depression set in when you find out how much higher salaries are at these better schools. Be prepared to work hard and be happy with what you are getting.

Good Luck!
blues clues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: ELS . . . Reply with quote

Just be weary of any private language school.

Last edited by blues clues on Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blues Clues,

I agree with you that these language schools are best only used for part-time teaching jobs. But, you may have missed that the OP was asking specifically about Al-Ain.

Not to start an argument, but it bothered me that your post suggests that you think that it is a horrible thing if a place hires 'non-native' speakers as English teachers. Rather painting with a broad brush, aren't you? Some of the best English teachers that I know are NOT native speakers (and most of the truly bad English teachers I know just happen to be native speakers).

The most damning detail about ELS has been the revolving door in management - hiring of people with little or no experience in managing or teaching.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: