Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar805

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Avatars for Dummies ...... Reply with quote

I've noticed that some posters are like me and just can't seem to get it right - we end up with a little red cross inside a box.
What are we doing wrong?

P.S. It works!!!
Hey, Kent! That's cool! Thanks

Last edited by omar805 on Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: 4 steps to success! Reply with quote

Dear Omar805:

I struggled with this for several weeks before I found a solution that works. I'm a point-and-click kind of guy too, so don't feel stupid.

The easiest solution is this:

1. First, go to the website below. Browse through the avatars and then click on the 'copy url' icon located under the picture that you want.

2. Then, come back to Dave's and go into the 'Profile' link located at the top of the page. Scroll all the way down to the bottom, where you will see the avatar 'box'.

3. Click your mouse on that box; then go up to the 'edit' function of your browser and click 'paste'.

4. And the final step: just click on 'submit', and you're done.

Here's the link I use, courtesy of Dave's member Selyer, who was kind enough to let me steal it from her: http://bb.bbboy.net/bbgallery/

Good luck Exclamation
keNt

PS: Don't try to save the avatar onto your hard drive. This seems to be the reason for some of the problems people are having. Just use the 'copy' & 'paste' approach as described above.

PSS: If this doesn't work for you the first time, try again ... with a different avatar. It's possible that you've chosen someone else's avatar, and maybe there's a one-avatar-per-board rule? i.e., if you chose my Bart Simpson avatar, would Dave's software accept a double? I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that question.

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: What a maroon! Reply with quote

Dear Kent,
OK, I finally gave in and got an avatar. I mean, how could I resist my favorite Superheros? Nyuck, Nyuck! Hope it works.
Regards,
John
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: presto! Reply with quote

Dear johnslat:

It's definitely working. I'm getting dizzy watching the Curly, Larry and Moe shuffle!

Nyaaa ... WISE GUY! Laughing
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keNt

It works.
I tried following the original instructions and got nowhere
But this time O.K.

See you in Russia !
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Ever wonder what happened to Moe? Reply with quote

Dear Kent,
Why, soitanly you're getting dizzy, Kent, yuck, yuck. Now, click below to see proof of a little known fact
Regards,
John

http://www.buzzflashcom.bigstep.com/generic.html?pid=39
Shaman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaceba, Kent. Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: is it just me? Reply with quote

Hey guys

Is it just me or do any of the rest of you find these moving avatars rather - um - irritating?? The flashing makes it very difficult for me to read. Perhaps I need to blame it on old age. Smile

KeNt's doesn't seem to be as bad as some, perhaps its small size. With John's, I have to put my hand up to cover the three stooges in order to be able to read the message. The rapid change actually gives me a headache.

Don't play video games either, so I guess I am the odd man - uhh - person out. Sad
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: The Terrible Trio Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments,
But The Three Stooges are SUPPOSED to be irritating. That's their stock-in-trade. However, I do see your point ( when, that is, I put up my hand to cover your lack of avatar ). Hmm, maybe the lads are a bit too distracting; after all, I wouldn't want them taking anyone's attention away from my deathless prose. I'll probably go back to the site tomorrow and try to pick a less annoying one.
Regards,
John
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: yikes ! Reply with quote

Oh no! I've created a Frankenstein! Shocked

Veiled Sentiments is right: All avatars are not created equally. Some of them are ... um ... er ... louder than others. Shaman's avatar is so big it just tried to eat my computer.

Don't despair! The good news is that after you've figured out how to install one avatar, you can always go back and replace it with something else.

Thanks also Johnslat, for the VERY funny portrait of our commander-in-chief. He looks good like that.

Regards,
kenT
Shaman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as the saying goes, size does matter. Wink All kidding aside though, I took the size of my monitor for granted. Sorry for the previous Clydesdale chewing up your screen space, Kent. I've sent him out to pasture. I hope this one proves less intrusive.

Shaman
shirley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: moving avatars? Reply with quote

All this talk about moving avatars has me wondering what I'm missing. The avatars don't move on my computer. What gives? Also, Shaman only has a red x in a box on my screen. Any ideas how I can see what everyone else sees? Or is this The Emperor's New Clothes?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Much better!! Reply with quote

Wow - Thanks guys - I like the new lower key avatars much better. But, then, I've always known that size matters. Embarassed

John - as soon as I saw your new little fellow with the waving hand - I could immediately hear 'miss, oh miss' or the one that drove me over the edge 'teacher, teacher, teacher' to which I would always respond, 'yes, student'

Shirley - does this mean you can't see your little cow waving his arms?

Anyway, thanks for taking pity on my deteriorating eyesight. Smile

Lookie what I have - under the heading, if you can't lick 'em, join 'em
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Overachievers Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments,
Ha - overachievers, the kind of students who think a 99% grade is a death sentence and who wave their raised hands vigorously, shouting, " Me, Me. Call on me, teacher! ". The kind who end up in grad school and then often become ( gasp ) teachers ( Don't have to raise my hand, anymore; I'm in CONTROL now ). Used to hate them - until, that is, I discovered two things: 1. I was/am one; and 2. underachievers are even worse.
Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: achievers? Reply with quote

My favorite is the one that who thinks he always knows the answer, 'me miss, me me me' but is never ever right. sigh......................

I hope you noted that my avatar matches my handle. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: