Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! Songs i dont know, not to mention i cant sing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: HELP! Songs i dont know, not to mention i cant sing! Reply with quote

Alright, alright im in the poo now guys.........
I have been hired recently by a company who love my sparky personality. I have been hired to teach direct to 10 schools Elementary and Junior High..... Im finding Junior High a breeze.......

But now........ im about to start the elementary schools next week....... and they want me too SING!!! i cant sing......is their anything i can do ??? do i say anyhing too the skool, or do i have to grin a bare it.

if that isnt enough of a problem, they want me to sing three songs and i dont know some of them......

seven steps < i dont know it
Peters hammer < i have no idea
If your happy and you know it <<<<<< i know this one

then i have to play the Who took/stole the cookie ? game < hmmmmmm i think i remember that

okies so i Need HELP

seven steps and peters hammer, can anybody tell me where i can see the words online too maybe get practise...........or give me suggestions that the school will be cool with so that i dont have to sing them Smile

thank you
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: just an idea or 2 Reply with quote

Hello Dean T:

Singing in class with the kids is not exactly my cup of tea either. Embarassed

So, here's a simple idea that really works: Go to your nearest music and/or book shop and buy yourself an audio cassette (or 2) which has kids' songs on it. Then, you can pick and choose a few that sound fun, learn them at home in secret, print out the words for the kiddies ... and then sort of hum along with them in class. The kids love having 'real' music anyway!

Usually the cassettes will be labeled to show the particular age-groups that they are intended for.

By the way, I did a google.com advanced search for 'Peter's Hammer' and 'Seven Steps" and about the only thing I found was a website showing 7 easy steps to weight loss. I don't think this is what you were looking for?! Laughing

Hang in there: someone on this board is bound to know those 2 songs.

Good Luck, Dean T!
kENt

PS: Here's a VERY good link for kids' songs and lyrics. It's an alphabetical index ... and you can actually listen to the songs if you have the right software installed on your 'puter': http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/musicchild.htm
gerard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do it and it even was a deal-breaker on a job---I left (ran) on my 2nd day. I simply say I;m sorry I DONT SING and offer no explanation. It works although they dont like it. In fact now I even point this out in interviews---games OK singing no... No explanation I just dont.

As Kent says though I have cranked a CD up and mumbled along. The kids know you are bluffing though.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Neither musician nor artist here Reply with quote

I tell my students that if I could sing or draw, I wouldn't be teaching EFL.

When I sketch things on the board, students can usually tell what those squiggles and slashes are supposed to represent. Well, sometimes my dogs, cows, and horses all look pretty similar, and students once confused my rendition of a castle with a tower as an obscene drawing, I must admit. Sad

As for my singing talent, let's just say I'm a better artist than singer, and that I'd die of starvation if I tried to make a living as either of those. Usually, if I sing once for a new group of students, that's sufficient. From that point on, I can usually get my students to do anything I want them to do. "If you don't want to work in small groups on this exercise, I'll sing for you." Within seconds, students have rearranged chairs for small-group work and are into the activity.

I do like the idea of using songs as part of teaching EFL, however. In my case, to use singing as a way to learn rather than a form of punishment, I stick with the use of recorded music. Students may realize that I only quietly mumble when we all sing along with the recordings, but they certainly don't complain about it.

Best wishes!
Smile
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Kent said, you can buy the voice that does all the singing, but you need to rehearse the lyrics with your kids. YOu can do that in a breeze too, don't worry!
I don't know where you are teaching, but I had to learn to use songs with kids in China.
I found some wonderful CD's with episodes of adventures of Mighty MOnkey and various animals, and the language employed is lovely, just lovely and right for the kids to pick up by themselves.
Apart from the episodes, there are songs, and the kids learn these songs rather fast (although I have not taught them these songs for lack of time).
Get those CD's or a tape (either a complete set containing both a CD and a tape, dunno why this dualism).
It is called ENGLISH WONDERLAND, and available from XINHUA bookstores in major cities.
A tip: KIds seem to learn better when you speak the lyrics really fast like one of those tongue twisters!
travellingscot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Song lyrics Reply with quote

I based part of a lesson around some Madonna lyrics and from what i remember it was as easy as typing "Madonna song lyrics" into a search engine and clicking on a link to a site which listed almost every known popular song,even those by obscure singers.I assume there will also be links to the music if required.
Sorry my memory and filing system are not able to recall any more details,hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding the words to a song should indeed be as easy as typing the title into Google or into a specific lyric site, or a specific site devoted to songs for kids. In this case it doesn't seem to be that simple, as I tried it to no avail. It's possible the lyrics to Seven Steps and Peter's Hammer don't exist on the internet. In fact I wonder if they exist at all outside of Dean T's school. Dean if they want you to sing it I assume they already have the lyrics.

Are they expecting you to sing it alone (harsh) or will you just be leading the singing? I suggest just talking your way through it, maybe rap if you've got it in you. If you can dance do that. If not dress as a chicken or something. Anything to detract from the fact you can't sing. Don't be so negative focus on what you can do. Smile
Celeste

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future singing endeavours, see if you can get the school to use some of the free MP3s from www.genkienglish.net
Dean T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you All.
You have and are being a great help!
I was considering taking the easy way out and do a runner.
But i am enjoying the Junior High School classes in the area too much.

The School expects me to sing and them to follow.

I will go the sights some of you have listed and see what i can find.

I didnt sleeplast night as i was in a panic.

Unfortuantly i came to japan on a holiday then decided to stay. I was hired at NOVA but they were buggerising around with contracts etc. I have been hired by W5 Staff Services who organised my visa on the day they hired me (i had to fly to korea and return so visa didnt expire then made the status change as sson as Cert of ELigibility arrived), they have contracts direct to teach in schools. So instead of COnversational&#12288;english i am teaching school english.

I would still like responses if anybody can help re Peters Hammer , Seven Steps and ways too simply tell the school that i dont sing good so this is the way i teach please accept it.

thank you all again...............and If anybody wants to know anything about W5 please private me. (which reminds me i have to repsond too somebody)

In short W5 is direct too the school teaching and im really enjoying my area as i said especially the Junior Highs.

&#12288;
Celeste

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most of the elementary schools that I teach at, we do sing. That said, we ALWAYS sing along with the CD player. Tell the school that the song should be on tape or CD. Better yet, ask them if they can give you the tape or CD the day before your class so that you can listen to the song before you have to teach it to the kids.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: and one more link for you Reply with quote

Dean T:

Since we're on the topic of song lyrics, here's one more link for you. This one has the modern stuff, in case you feel like lip-syncing Madonna. Laughing

http://www.azlyrics.com/

Have fun; don't panic ... and remember this: Little kids are COOL. They aren't expecting Pavarotti, and they will love you ... whether you sing, hum, mumble, lip-sync or use sign-language. Trust me: It's after they hit puberty that 'all hell' breaks loose.

Regards,
kENt
Dean T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys thanks for your support

i was able to attend class sing and play with the kids and i enjoyed myself so much !! thank yu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: