Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anxiety attack
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the CELTA was rather anxiety inducing

but not as bad as learning to drive with my dad, an impatient teacher

or having a beautiful but mad girlfriend Laughing

or my first class in

C A M B O D I A
try it and see Cool
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about situations where, with no warning, you just feel an anxiety attack coming on? I knew a teacher who never had anxiety problems before, but one day he just freaked before going into his class. I think he went in eventually, but he had to really force himself. What would you do in that situation?
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Teacher in Rome,

See a shrink ASAP.

Regards,
John
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And/or a doctor. Sometimes the symptoms of a panic attack are relatively similar to, and can be a sign of, other health problems.

I had a friend who had a truly unexpected panic attack, saw a doctor, and discovered that his sudden "nerves" were caused by a previously undiagnosed heart condition.

Best,
Justin
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get nervous with a new class/new school etc. The last two summers I have worked in summer school, and get a new group every 11 teaching days. So I get that anxious feeling quite often.

Im actually on a two week break now...and I will be nervous monday when I return to class, even though the majority of students will be the same! Its not so bad that it worries me though...I think its kinda natural. It normally passes when the bell rings and I begin. The anxiety is normally on the way to class, rather than actually in it.

Its important to remember the students often feel the same way. Their nerves may even last all the way through the class too! They may worry about 101 things, making mistakes, speaking aloud...etc etc. Being nervous before class helps me understand my students a bit better sometimes I think. As nervous as I may be before each of my summer school groups, I do think its a lot worse for them! They dont know me, the other students, and they dont know what to expect either.

As far as the other posts...I actually find teaching the easiest job I have done. Maybe I've been lucky with my employment etc...but I definately find it easier than my previous employment. Im not the greatest, and I have lots still to learn and practice, but I enjoy it. I enjoy it a lot...perhaps thats why I find it less challenging. Doing something you love is a lot easier than doing something you hate I guess!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: