Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An American Kitty in Russia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beangirl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: An American Kitty in Russia? Reply with quote

Hi, all. I've been lurking for a while, since accepting a job teaching in Moscow, but this is one topic I haven't seen discussed. I know some people who've moved abroad and taken their pets (esp cats--they're mobile) with them. I have a cat and just accepted a teaching job in Moscow. My accomodations are arranged by the company for which I'm working. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice about taking the cat with me. As far as immigration/customs it doesn't seem like there'd be a very big problem, just extra paperwork. I'm just not sure how to go about making making inquiries about whether or not I can have her with me where I'll be living. Do other teachers in Moscow have their cats with them or will this be viewed as an unusual/difficult request? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks. Amanda
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I didn't bring a pet into Russia, I looked into taking my dog out of Russia.

1. You are restricted as to which times of the year you may bring him/her out due to the temperature inside the cargo area can be a hazard.

2. Your pet must remain in quarentine for about a month (you pay for someone to take care of them too) even if your pet originated from the states.

3. Keep a very good shot record.

I guess that's all I can think of for now.

On a side note, and I'm mentioning this for no particular reason except to amuse myself, my dog's name is Putin.

CS
Trojan Horse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amanda,
Good luck in Russia. If this is shared accommodation, you could have a problem. Has your school specified whether you have to share a flat or not?
beangirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they haven't told me yet what kind of accomodation they're providing me with. I was wondering if it would be off-putting if I just asked them about it. It's a pretty big company, I can't be the first person that's wanted to bring my cat along, can I? The funny thing is, I'm officially a dog person. I always had dogs growing up. Someone gave me the cat as a gift a few months ago and I've gotten really attached to her. I could leave her with a friend, but I think I would actually feel like a bad person.

On another note, as I prepare my packing list, is there anything anyone left behind that they wish they would have brought with them? Anything they brought that they don't need?

Thanks.
Trojan Horse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Well I would ask the school since they're organising the accommodation for you and they will be the ones communicating with your landlord. You might also need their help with the paperwork. How about sending a mail about it, then ringing up a day later and just having a chat with them?

I'm sure they won't withdraw the job offer because you asked about bringing a cat along, if that's what's worrying you.

Have a great time in Moscow!
zaneth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get weird looks on the street when you call your dog? Do you avoid using his name around militsia?

What kind of dog is it?
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaneth wrote:
Do you get weird looks on the street when you call your dog? Do you avoid using his name around militsia?

What kind of dog is it?

Well, ya know, it seems to me that the way we (non-Russians) speak, I don't think they'd recognize it anyway. I usually say his name along with a full sentence, so I don't think anyone catches it.

I remember the first time I heard a Russian say Gorbachev's name, I had to ask them which President they were talking about and if this was a really long time ago. Russians say his name sorta different from how we say it.

He looks kinda German Shepardish, but he's a mutt.

CS
waxwing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stress is on the final syllable. ё is always stressed. Although those darned rooskies always write е instead of ё Smile
zaneth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorby, Krus-chev. Yeah, people couldn't believe I'd never heard of Gorbachev. I couldn't believe they'd never heard of such a famous figure as Krus-chev. What?! You people don't know your own history?

So what's a good name for a cat? Trotsky? Che? Gagarin?
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to Russia last year with 2 cats. No quarentine. You just need a certificate of health from a vet for the cat. They never even looked at mine.

Many airlines will allow cats in the pasenger section of the plane. They count as carry on luggage and have to be stowed in their little carrier under the seat in front of you. It leaves you with no foot room.

Russians are big cat lovers. I wouldn't expect that any prospective landlord would be bothered with you bringing a cat into an apartment. No problems. It should be easy.

The only problem we encountered with our cats was that they were older and picky eaters. Wouldn't touch Russian cat food. We finally found a store that carried French kitty tuna that they would eat, but it was expensive. Maybe ship some extra food ahead in case they won't eat the Russian stuff right away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: