Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanting to Work in UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapelroad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Wanting to Work in UAE Reply with quote

Cold wet and windy. Thats all I see as I stare out of my classroom window here in Ireland. That said, I would love a change of climate and culture and wonder if anyone knows of how I could get the ball rolling with regards to obtaining a job as an EFL teacher in the UAE. I am a Science Teacher, I have a Masters in Medical Science and I am TEFL certified.
Afra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try HCT - look on their website and apply. Various colleges teach Health related courses.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapelroad,

Getting a job with HCT can be difficult as they are one of the highest paying places and it is very competitive. Check out their website: http://www.hct.ac.ae

You might want to consider a couple of places in Oman. Getting that first job in the Gulf can be difficult. One option is a private medical college in Muscat: http://www.omc.edu.om/

They also recruit English teachers with science or medical background at Sultan Qaboos University: http://www.squ.edu.om

Any of the three of them would be good employers to work for.

Good Luck

VS
chapelroad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks a million guys. Will look into info received.
Klem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: So you think the grass is greener? Reply with quote

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, and I imagine it is a lot greener in Ireland with all that rain than here in the UAE.

By all means come on over, with the promise of higher wages and lower cost of living.

If anything, living here in the UAE has made my wife and I appreciate what we have in Perth Australia, and the few extra dollars make you start wondering about your priorities in life.

But you need to come to a place like this in order to appreciate this sentiment, and all this little things that go towards making this place the toilet of the earth.

After a while you start to realise that the only people surrounding you teaching in the ME are mercenaries and missfits. Which one are you?

Klem
zakiah25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: could be ok for u Reply with quote

Chapelroad,
Recently, I saw a job ad for an EFL teacher at the University of Medical Sciences in Bahrain (if I remember correctly) - this might suit u.Also, if I remember correctly, it was advertised in the "Gulf News" about 2-3 weeks ago. Maybe, contact Gulf News or visit their website for more information. Sorry to be a liitle vague but I also seem to recall that the course was being done in conjunction with some University from Ireland.
Did anyone else see this ad?
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

Any of the three of them would be good employers to work for.

*chuckle*

Conspicuous in its absence....

...a certain medical school...

Wink

BD
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in conjunction with the College of Surgeons.

The wanted a degree in English though.
tefllifer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Was it Arabian Gulf University in B'rain? If so, try it - it's an OK place - that is B'rain and AGU - but salary and conditions aren't so good - still, might be a good stating point for a career over here. Think the vacancy might still exist - check their website and follow links.
chapelroad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks a million people,
appreciate the help/advice
Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: