Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ministry of Higher Education, Oman?????????????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lionbrian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Ministry of Higher Education, Oman????????????? Reply with quote

I posted an ad a couple days ago requesting info about this place, unfortunately I received no replies. Is it a good/bad sign?

I went to the Teacher Discussion Forum, but I found nothing. Also, I did a search using the Internet, but I found only their web site in ARABIC.

P.S: Your feedback is highly appreciated again![color=red]
oh_lucky_me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question is too vague. Is it a specific job you are after? Where? What? Generally the ministries are very good, but it reallydepends where you go in terms of location.
lionbrian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: MoHe in Oman Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies (Veil & oh_lucky_me)

They have 6 teachers' colleges, and the locations are: Sohar, Sur, Salalah, Nizwa, Ibri and Rastaq. I am targeting coastal cities, but it all depends on the personnel. The position is to teach at the Teacher's College.

Any info?????????????
carnac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I can't comment on the schools themselves. I can give another sort of comment, based on the locations, which you stated as "the locations are: Sohar, Sur, Salalah, Nizwa, Ibri and Rastaq"
If you are fairly peaceful, calm, introspective and self-reliant for entertainment, all of these locations are fine. Anythng you do with your private time, you will have to invent for yourself. Oman is a wonderful country with a beauty that really grows on you with time, and a people who are genuinely kind, generous, and friendly.(Even acknowledging the occasional cultural scorpions under the palms) But, all of these places are fairly remote from the capital, with its variety of dining, cinema, activities. In Muscat, you pay money to go to a show that gives you a cultural experience, whether it be Omani, Indian, or a host of others. In the remote cities, you live the cultural experience and quickly learn both the bad and the good.
Should you decide to go for the job, I would be VERY sure to lock down, in writing, everything you would expect to have: living accomodations (a flat or a dormitory!), transportation allowances, perks, benefits, are they going to demand your passport (don't do it, you become a slave).
You don't say if you are Anglo or not. Here is an unfortunate truth: In Oman, if you have three equally qualified teachers, one Indian, one Arab (maybe North African or Egyptian, for instance), and an Anglo (British, Australian, North American), the Anglo will be treated well; the Arab with considerably less respect, and the Indian as an indentured servant. The catchphrase is "NATIVE SPEAKER". (Never mind that Indians are in fact these days native speakers, that's a question for anthropological linguistics) Only Anglos are accepted as native speakers. And, the pay is predicated not on what you do or what you know, or what education you have had, but on what is the perceived standard of living in your place of origin. Not fair, but then, the world isn't about fairness, I guess.
Anyway, good luck. It's a great place. Just be careful. All employers are not created equal.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionbrian,

There are quite a few posts about the Ministry jobs in this section and in the Job Information Journal. Carnac has given you a good idea about life in these place. I must admit that as much as I like Oman and Omanis, I would not really want to live in any of these villages.

As to the hiring for the Ministry these days, I'm rather confused as to what is going on. It seems that they may be using recruiters and that normally means that the employment conditions go down. What we need are some current teachers to come on here and update us, but so far all there has been is silence. Of course, that may be good news - it often seems that most posters on this board tend to be unhappy with their situation. Smile

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: