Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A reasonable salary? + Accommodation costs in Salalah?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak_hope

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: A reasonable salary? + Accommodation costs in Salalah? Reply with quote

Hello,

What would be a reasonable salary in Oman for a BA + CELTA holder with 4 years of teaching experience at Canadian ESL schools/colleges?

Would a OR 650 monthly salary be a reasonable offer if they provide OR 120 as an accommodation allowance? And does anyone have an idea about how much it costs to rent a good one-bedroom apartment in a good area in Salalah, Oman?

Are evening teaching hours common in Oman and in the Gulf countries in general? How many hours are teachers expected to work in total per week (including contact hours and admin hours)?

Thanks in advance for any info you offer.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ak

I would say that OR 650 is about right for your education and experience level. I'm not sure of the rental costs there, but I presume that it would be less than in Muscat. I expect that it will get you a small, but not luxurious flat.

For the smaller colleges, split shifts are common. This is normal with the private places as they have to cater to their student base, many of whom work during the day.

Teaching hours tend to be between 18-22 hours per week plus office hours and admin. It probably averages out to about 35 hours per week in the office. Of course, I am generalizing with no knowledge of who your employer is. I'm rather talking in averages.

VS
ak_hope

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot veiledsentiments! That was very helpful to know.
KiteBiker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: accomodations in Salalah Reply with quote

Just in case you're still interested, a very good "westernized" place to stay is the Al-Bustan Residential Complex [no relation to the Al-Bustan Hotel in Muscat]. Saeed Shanfari is the mnager there and a small 2 bedroom "pillbox" will probably run you around 250 OMR per month + utilities. If you wish to live more frugally, there are Pakistani-style apartments down the road from the Al-Bustan at around 100 OMR per month.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KiteBiker,

250 OR is not cheap - well maybe for a 2 bedroom, but you suggest that it is very small. Is it furnished? If not, does it come with anything like AC or kitchen appliances?

VS
KiteBiker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Salalah accomodation Reply with quote

Forgive me, my mistake. The Al-Bustan was at 200 OMR 2 bedroom, 2 washrom, small kitchenette and living room with gravel back yard. It was furnished with A/C and tv and satelite [Indian/Arabic fare]. The only thing not provided was the washing machine. They even provided utensils.

I had a large 3 bedroom house provide by CfBT initially which was 250 OMR per month with furniture, partly owned by CfBT and partly owned by the landlord. The previous tenant to the house payed something like 300 to 500 OMR per month payed for a year in advance. But since the expat community there has gone downhill the market forces are such that prices are pushed downwards. Maintenance was horrid on this house. At least at the Al_bustan they actually took pride in maintaining the place to "western standards".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: