Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Military service for Polish citizens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michiganteacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Military service for Polish citizens Reply with quote

Hello all, I am an American and I�m working in Madrid as an English teacher. My mother was born in Poland, so everyone�s been telling me to try and apply for Polish citizenship. I have two questions, first what is Poland�s status with the EU as far as non-EU citizens go, because I�ve been told that I couldn�t work as an EU citizen (if I were to get Polish citizenship) until next May. Does anyone have any answers? I�m looking to work in Italy, Poland or possibly Spain again, next year. So if I became a Polish citizen, for example this spring, could I work as an EU citizen next year in Spain, Poland or Italy.
Second, if I become a Polish citizen, would I have to serve a term in the Polish military. I am 25 and I do not speak Polish, I�ve heard these could possibly be factors in that. Any info would be a great help, thanks!

Any info on working in Gdansk, also? Good, bad?
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mother have citizenship? If she has never had Polish citizenship then you'll find it hard to get Polish citizenship yourself.

If you do get citizenship you will still need to get work permits to work in Spain and Italy. Only UK, Eire and Sweden have waived the need for Poles to have work permits, the rest of the EU still thinks permits are needed.

Your age won't have any effect on the need to do military service. 25 is prime time as far as the army here are concerned. Your lack of Polish language might have some effect but I've never heard of it being used as an excuse for avoiding military service!
michiganteacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, my mother, still, has Polish citizenship. My only, actual, concern with getting citizenship is having to serve a term in the military. How likely do you think it is that I would be asked to serve in the military, because if it is fairly likely, and considering I would probably still have to apply for work permits, I might just forget the whole thing. Thanks again
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring the Polish Embassy. Ask them. They'll tell you.
misteradventure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Polish Citizenship Reply with quote

Military service might not be so bad. (I did it - just not in Poland.) Poland is no committed to shipping anyone anywhere and, given your age and the fact you don't speak the language, you might even be given teaching duties once you learn the language!)

An open mind always adds to the adventure. You might not have to serve until you actually return to Poland.... if ever. Talk to the Polish Embassy, don't rely on us!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: