Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSU - Riyadh/SA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
expatgirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: PSU - Riyadh/SA Reply with quote

Question
Can anyone provide any recent info about working at Prince Sultan College in Riyadh? As women can apply, I'm interested, buthave never seen anything good/bad about the place. salary, students, all the usual would be helpful - thanks
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: psc Reply with quote

I cannot in all honesty recommend Riyadh for an unaccompanied western female. Your life would be restricted in many ways. Stay in the Emirates, that is my advice.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Stop me before I do it again Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
Aaarrrggh - too late. I've already e-mailed her the e-mail address of a friend and former colleague who's been working at PSU here for some time. But I'm sure he'll go into great detail about how life for an " unaccompanied western female " ( I assume we're making an assumption here ) can be less than a garden of earthly delights.
Regards,
John
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She should be fine in Riyadh. I knew lots of unaccompanied females who had a ball there.

Why she should want to leave the Emirates though is another matter.
expatgirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: RE: PSU- Riyadh Reply with quote

Stephen Jones wrote:
She should be fine in Riyadh. I knew lots of unaccompanied females who had a ball there.

Why she should want to leave the Emirates though is another matter.
Smile
Thanks for the positive response - I, too, had heard that life for a single female could be interesting - think of all the single ex-pat guys?
Is it possible to meet at public venues: restaurants, movies etc?
Let me tell you life can be as lonely for "singles" in the UAE - unless you're of the dominant culture, ie 20-30 somethings!
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Exat girl,
There aren't any movies in Saudi Arabial And if you go to a restaurant the single men will be in one part and you in another.

If you speak to single men in a public place you will be arrested as a prostitiute.

You meet people at private dos. But if you have had problems with the social life in the Emirates, then you will find Saudi hell.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: I agree... Reply with quote

Expatgirl,

I must say that I agree with Stephen on this one. If you are lonely in the UAE, I fear you will be much worse off in Saudi. I wouldn't consider it unless the money was at least double and I needed money badly. Smile

But, see what John's friend has to say. I'm sure John wouldn't send you to someone who would lead you astray.

Every female friend I have known, married or single, was ecstatic to get out and would never go back - especially to Riyadh. Every single one of them loathed the place. And, these were people that were happy in other Gulf countries. That is not a good sign to me. (I'm sure that there must be some women who didn't mind it, but I just haven't encountered them in the last 20 years)

Being happy/content with life there seems to be a guy thing. Smile
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Against all odds Reply with quote

Dear ex-pat girl et al,
First, let me say that I agree with scot 47, Stepehen Jones and veiledsentiments - this is not a congenial environment for single - heck, any - females: severe restrictions on dress and behavior, matawas prowling for infractions, being treated like an inferior species. Not nice at all, especially in Riyadh, the xenophobic capital. That being said, let me also mention that: 1. the housing for PSU, on the Diplomatic Quarter, is very nice and transport is provided to work and for shopping; 2. The classes are relatively small ( often fewer than 10 students )' 3. You just never know - let me relate a little " anecdotal evidence " here. In 1987 I taught an American Lit. class ( University of Maryland extension program ) for American Community Services in the evenings. My students, men and women, were all Westerners. After the course was over, one of the ex-students ( Maggie Dew - who was working as a nurse in one of the hospitals here ) and I began " seeing each other ". We'd have " forbidden " dates ", usually going to hotel restaurants ( where the matawas are a lot less likley to intrude ). We're still together ( through apart at the moment ) today., having met in, of all places, romantic Riyadh. OK - admittedly not a typical story, but, as I said - you never know. 4. And then there's, as Yeats put it - " the fascination of what's difficult ". For most non-Moslem Westerners, this country has got to be one of the hardest places in the world to adapt to, tolerate, endure.
I mean, if you can make it here, well heck, you can make it anywhere.
Regards,
John
P.S. I should add that Maggie - who, I'm pretty sure , never has quite forgiven me for assigning a term paper on Faulkner's " The Sound and the Fury " as a Final, hated it here, and there aren't enough wild horses in the world to drag her back.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Riyadh after the UAE Reply with quote

I agree with the poster who says IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE IN THE EMIRATES DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT RIYADH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: