Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recife?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Recife? Reply with quote

I have a degree + tefl but no experience and only basic Portugese.
What are my chances of finding decent(ish) work if I turn up in Recife in November? Very Happy Smile or : Confused ??
Has anyone any more opinions on Recife as a place to live?
waxtadpole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only give you the same answer I have given before. If you speak English you can get a teaching job in Brazil. How much you earn is another matter.

Even you work hard, are willing to promote yourself to pick up private lessons, and live cheaply you should be able to cover your expenses while in Brazil (though not your flight).

Think of it as a working holday, bring some money with you, and have a plan to leave if all goes wrong and you should have a greet time.

Very Happy
jackb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, waxtadpole..

I mentioned Recife in my post but I haven't fully decided where I'll go to look for work, have any of you out there got any other ideas for a decent place to set up in?? In your esteemed opinions Cool which city in Brazil has the best quality of life? and why.. Somewhere a bit off the beaten track I think would make for a better experience, but anywhere really apart from the obvious ie: Rio and Sao paulo.

Any ideas then? What's your favourite city in Brazil??....and have you worked there?

Thanks in advance,

Jack.
Mittens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to teach English in Brasil next year. I just got back from a TESOL seminar and it rocked. I'm going to take the Advanced course in November then look at taking at least one specialized course to get my TESOL certificate. I'm also interested in what cities people who have taught in Brasil would recommend.
jackb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No?......No? Oh well, Recife it is then!
Aramas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol - get hold of a Lonely Planet guide and check out the options. I'm not sure how you would relate the climate to northern hemisphere regions, but southern Brasil has a similar climate to that of northern NSW in Australia, whereas Recife and Fortaleza are thoroughly equatorial. It's a very large and diverse country. The south is predominately European in cultural origins, whereas most Nortestinhas have their origins in Africa, making for an entirely different cultural experience. In between you have Minas Gerais, where the girls reputedly won't take 'no' for an answer - the jewels you should guard are of the family variety. The list goes on and on, with each area having it's own cultural identity.

So what's your preference? Hot tropical nights and hotter dark-skinned girls? Or perhaps somewhere with actual seasons and blue-eyed gauchas? It's all there - well almost. Apparently nobody tangoes like the Portenas of Buenos Aires, and the tango is, after all, the hottest thing on Earth (and don't confuse the real thing with the stupid Hollywood version) Smile
anteck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Mittens & Aramas Reply with quote

mittens - i'm on the same path as you, cept doing the tesol course with global in november here in melbourne australyia Wink. We should keep in touch!

Aramas (sorry if this is spelt wrong) What do you mean 'prtect' the family jewels, and the girls don't accept a no? Elaboration is appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aramas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently in Townsville, and due to a serious accident at work it will probably be February before I can get away.

I've never been to Brasil and what little I know is what I've read on websites, so take it with a grain of salt. I've heard that Minas Gerais girls are very assertive and quite keen on gringos - which are in short supply in that area. Whether or not it's true remains to be seen.

My eventual destination is also uncertain at present. There are so many options. My instinctive preference for blondes would seem to indicate central Europe, but how do people live in places that cold, and on so little money? I like the tropics, so perhaps I'll just have to make do with latinas Smile

The pay at language schools in Brasil is laughable, and would barely cover rent. A number of sources indicate that private lessons are much more lucrative and are quite easy to arrange, so that's an option. I may just do a CELTA there and spend the rest of my time laying on the beach and partying. I wouldn't even get out of bed for less than $10 an hour - particularly if it was crowded Cool
anteck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Townsville - owch... what happened bro?

If planning on a feb move too... let me know of your intentions and perhaps we'll be able to help each oher out as strangers in a lost land of amazonian women.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AcidBurn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend�s wife is from Recife. From what I�ve heard, it�s a pretty dangerous place and really isn�t as lively compared to Fortaleza and Salvador. Also, the beaches in Recife are famous for shark attacks. It�s probably the least desirable of all the Northeastern cities.

I hear Olinda, which is just north of Recife, is a nice colonial town with decent beaches.

My girlfriend lives in Sao Paulo and I go there pretty regularly. I might move there after the New Year. I also know a few gringos living in different parts of Brazil and all of them have taught English at one point. All of them are unanimous in saying that it isn�t a good way to earn a living and have since gone to other ventures. And all of them said they would never do it again.

As someone mentioned above, language schools don�t pay well and many of which are increasingly looking for people with work visas, which are almost impossible for gringos to get. Private tutoring is definitely your best bet, but sometimes you will have to tutor at some bad hours and Brazilians aren�t the best at keeping appointments, so it isn�t stable income.

But if you�re keen on trying to eek out a living teaching ESL, Sao Paulo and Rio are definitely your best bets. You will make the most money in those places, but the cost of living is a lot higher too. Maybe one of the smaller cities around Sao Paulo, like Campinas, wouldn�t be so bad. I�ve heard it�s a nice city.

Oh, before I go, I wanted to add something about Florianopolis. I have a Canadian friend who lives down there. He was telling me that it�s oversaturated with gringos trying to teach English, so it isn�t the best place to be for this profession.

Can�t comment on the girls from MG being hornier than others as I�ve never been there. I hear they�re more �aggressive�, but I would say the other claims are horsesh1t.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: