Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL certificate for DF, si o no??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiTown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: TEFL certificate for DF, si o no?? Reply with quote

Hello all and thanks for the help so far, but I have to say I'm a bit confused. Some advice has been that my original plan to get a TEFL certificate in Guadalajara before trying to teach in DF is necessary, while other advice has been that in order to teach in DF a certificate is not required when the applicant has a BA and plenty of enthusiasm. Anyone out there with experience in DF with or without a certificate that cares to reply, much appreciated.
Heather
dan allan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: RE: CERTIFICATE FOR DF Reply with quote

It is confusing because there is no clear cut answer.

Business experience is very important, and a degree and or certificate can be useful but not essential.

I've been all around L.America and have going on 5 years in Mexico, 4 in DF. What makes people successful is maturity, actually liking your job and clients, professionalism, good dress and grooming, business knowledge, networking, and keeping informed business and culture wise, etc etc. I've seen people with and without great "qualifications" do well or not so well.

Just get out there and do it, and you'll soon enough see who the winners are. Nothing like experience.

If I can further assist, send me a note.

Dan.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Agreed...? Reply with quote

I agree with Dan here, though it's also going to depend on what degree you have. While there's no substitute for experience, a stumbling block to run into is immigration. Each city varies, but in DF, you will need a degree relevant to teaching in order for a permit to be issued. Employers want to see a committment and will sponsor for a permit if they see it.

There are plenty of jobs that will hire without a permit, though the pay tends to be lower.

What it often comes down to as well is credibility and honesty. Your potential English class students are paying hard earned money for classes, on the hopes that it will provide them with more opportunities in the future. The expectation is that in return for their investment, they have a qualified and competent teacher. It's nice to be from Canada or the US and be able to walk into a foreign country and begin teaching without training, but do students deserve less just because they are from that foreign country?

I guess it depends on how you see the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: