Site Search:
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching at state schools - any websites?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Posts: 425

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: teaching at state schools - any websites? Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend websites to find teaching positions at state schools? (I am an EU-national and have a teaching degree)
Also does anyone teach at a state school? What's it like? Pro's and Con's, salaries, etc.?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Posts: 74
Location: France

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dagi - It's good you have an EU passport. That's a ticket to finding work outside of the state system. As for working in state schools, my good friend from England originally went to France on a teacher exchange -- probably your best "in" too. However, the insanity of the state system in France was (and still is I believe) such that after her exchange year was up and having asked to remain in the same region in whichever school would like to have her, they wouldn't/couldn't do it. Bottom line is if you want to teach in state schools you have to do the entire teacher's ed. program in France. You may still want to search for those web sites --try "education nationale" -- but I think the best you'll probably find is an exchange program. That may require a lot of "officialdom" involvement from both sides, i.e. your "home jurisdiction" and the French side. Good luck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Posts: 425

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: exchange Reply with quote

LOL! I just collected a leaflet at my uni this week about exchange programmes within the EU. They are subsidiesed by the EU Government and you get some kind of 'scholarship' and will be working as a teaching assistant. I am not sure if I will be eligible for the programme next year cause I get my degree this year and by then will already have some working experience.
But if my China plans don't work out I will definately give this programme a try!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 10 Jul 2004
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing to have your degree translated by an official translator and have the translation evaluated by a faceless bureaucrat at the rectorat, who comes to the conclusion that you have the equivalent of the French "licence" in the discipline you want to teach, you can then obtain the inestimable privilege of teaching in the state system. Hourly rates of pay are good, much better than almost anything in the private sector, but no one will hire you for more than 200 hours a year. Above that, you'd have to be given expensive benefits.

The French ministry of education is hiring fewer and fewer full-time teachers, not because there are fewer students, but to save money. So to cover the shortfall they're taking on more and more of these stopgap teachers, particularly in English, Spanish, and Math. There's a special name for this employment status in French, but I can't remember what it is, something ridiculous like second-degree inadmissible education agent. If you want more info, look on the website of the académie de Paris. There are also links to the other "académies."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 03 Mar 2003
Posts: 416
Location: at home, in France

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: teaching for the state Reply with quote

I've done this several times in several Rectorats and can give a few personal observations.

The EU directorates about accepting professional qualifications are generally accepted with a few exceptions - and guess what - teaching is one.

Teaching in the state sector is reserved for fonctionaires = civil servants.

You must pass a competitive exam called the CAPES (cap - ess) and the number of people who pass each year corresponds to the number of predicted vacancies in each subject in each discipline !!

There are restrictions about inscription dates and exam dates etc.
To qualify to take the exam you must have BAC+3 status, ie a Degree.
The exam is over 3 days - 4 hours per day - in French.
If you pass that, then there is an oral exam (in English for English language teachers)

Other employment in the state sector is as a temporary teacher, a "vacataire"
Salary rates are good, but they are temporary to cover staff absence and the timetables are fixed before your arrival. They are usually only for a few hours per week.
They can be long term (pregnancy cover etc) or short term.

No vacataire is able to work more than 200 hours per year, anywhere within the system.

No easy is it ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China