Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living In Addis Ababa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Living In Addis Ababa Reply with quote

Hello,

This is my first posting and I am hoping somebody here might be able to help me.

I am a 33 year old man looking to relocate and live in Addis. My fiance' lives in Addis working at the Swiss Embassy as a visa officer. We find that a little ironic Smile. As it is proving difficult for her to come and live with me in the UK I want to try and move to live with her in Addis. I am writing to hopefully gain more information on living in Addis and how to obtain residency. I have many skills to offer including good computer skills in networking and website design and a good formal English education. I am very interested in teaching. I will also have some �50,000 to take with me when I sell up here in the UK to invest in Addis.

I have been reading of other peoples experiences and, of course, my fiance' has told me a lot. However, we are struggling to find a way through the red tape.

Anything anyone can tell me that they think might help I will be very grateful for.

Thank you for your time.

Yours faithfully

Mike Jones
Afrogirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Addis Ababa Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I am at the moment teaching at the GYA school in Addis Ababa. If you wanted a job there I am sure they would take you. The pay is not high as far as expat salaries go, but it is enough to live on. If you wanted to know more you can look at their website or contact them by email.

Other than that I'm sure you would have no problem finding a job in Addis. There are at least a few schools here that take native English speakers, and the only reason that you won't of heard of them is that they don't normally advertise on the web.

If you don't get anything I suggest you just come. You can get a tourist or business visa on arrival and change it later to a working visa.

Hope this is of some help,

Helen
mike500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Helen,

Thank you very much for your reply and information. Are you saying that you don't have to obtain a visa before travelling to Addis? I thought I would have to do this in the UK before I left.

I have heard of the GYA but all the advertisements I have seen have asked for teacher qualifications. Although I have a good formal education it doesn't include teacher training and is not degree level. Is this going to limit my options? Does GYA accept people who speak good english up to UK A level standard? Teaching is always something I have wanted to do and this seems the right time for a career change.

I could, of course, work to obtain the relevant teacher training but that will take time and I am looking to come to Addis early in January.

I am not looking for a big salary just enough to live on so that part seems fine.

I will contact GYA and see what they say. If you can think of anything else that might help please let me know.

Thank you again

Mike
yeoyeo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: working in ethiopia Reply with quote

hello mike,

i'm glad that you want to come to ethiopia, i'm sure that you'll love it here. it's a really colourful country, with so much for you do to! The people are wonderful, the food is great, and the culture is fascinating.
As far as working at GYA, i hope that you contact me and i can give you a bit more information about the school if you want.
otherwise, feel free to ask any questions about the country, but i'm sure that you'd quiet enjoy it here.
thanks,
lisa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: