Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

European Commission decision on foreign lettori

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: European Commission decision on foreign lettori Reply with quote

I would like to hear what the situation is for others working in Italian Universities. I know several universities just recently granted pay raises/rises. Do you work for one of those universities? Any one else out there seen any changes or coming changes? Now that a fine has been requested I wonder if that will change anything. I'm working with a "determinato" contract, what about the rest of you? I would love to hear your comments.

The European Commission has taken a decision to ask the Court of Justice to impose a �309.750 per day fine on Italy for non execution of a judgement relating to the discriminatory treatment of former foreign language lecturers in several Italian universities. In its judgement of 26 June 2001, the Court declared that as Italy had not recognised the acquired rights of foreign language assistants who had become associates and mother-tongue linguistic experts, although granting such recognition to all national workers, Italy had failed to fulfil treaty requirements relating to non-discrimination on the grounds of nationality. On 14 January 2004 Italy adopted a "Decreto Legge", which aligns the former status of lettori with the national category of "ricercatori a tempo definito". The Commission believes that this decree does not fully implement the Court's judgement. The Commission has therefore decided to request that a daily fine of 309.750 be fixed, to be payable until a decree is adopted which fully implements the Court judgement.
lostinparis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, first of all, that this reply is a bit off topic.

I'm curious what conditions are like as a lettori at an Italian university (schedule, students, pay, contracts, etc). What time of year are universities looking for teachers and what type of qualifications are they looking for?

I currently work as a part-time instructor at a university outside Paris, and will be starting graduate studies in international relations in Bologna in the fall. I'm hoping to teach some university classes while I am doing my master's to defray tuition costs.

In Paris, lecturers are paid 39 euros/hr, but we are only paid twice a year (still waiting for a paycheck from fall 2003!). I teach four classes at the moment, 3rd and 4th year students, for a total of about 7 hours a week. In general, students are at an intermediate level of English; though some are really really poor. Are things similar in the Italian university system?

Also, I will be on a student visa with which I can get a permesso di soggiorno. Is this permesso enough to legally work in Italy as an American? Or is it similar to France's carte de sejour system in that there are different cartes and only certain ones will give you the right to work?

Any information is much appreciated!
cheers
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are non-EU, a permesso di soggiorno doesn't give you the right to work.

However, if you are studying at a university, there might be a special dispensation for you to do a limited number of hours.

The best advice I could give would be to contact the university in Bologna and ask them about it. It may be that the bureaucratic obligations on them as a potential employer are too much trouble. Alternatively, they might already have a system in place.

You could work illegally, tutoring students etc, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck.
lostinparis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your response.

hmmm... well, ordinarily, a carte de sejour here in France doesn't necessarily give you the right to work either. there are many types of cartes...

However, those coming to France as students are allowed to work up to 19.5 hours a week to help finance their studies, if they are enrolled at an accredited institution.

Considering how incredibly strict France is about letting non-EU foreigners work in the country (oh, those high unemployment rates!), I would be surprised if there wasn't a similar type of loophole or status that foreign students could take advantage of in Italy.

I've already put word out to the university that I'll be studying with - so I'll see what they say. Thanks.
daily chai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostinParis, I wouldn't be so gloomy about private tutoring. I know several people in Taiwan and Korea who literally lived off private students alone for a year or more. I did it over World Cup summer in Korea too. Asia"ain't" Europe but it proves a point. Private students are best thought of as the icing on the cake. Get privates through the grapevine at your uni in Bologna. Religious communities are an even better resource. I had privates in Korea through my local Buddhist temple before I even landed in Seoul. Maybe explore a French-Italian Catholic connection? Oh yes, I have a good friend with family in Bologna. Perhaps I can put you two in touch. PM me if you want more info.
lostinparis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to update everyone (or anyone... who might be reading this Italian forum) that I just heard back from my university in Bologna.

It is as I suspected: Americans (or any non-EU person for that matter) on a student visa at an accredited university can legally work up to 20 hours a week while doing their studies. Whoo-hoo!
daily chai

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippee! Very Happy What great news for you & all those in the same boat. Looking forward to reading about your next success.
Niamh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i may have a job working for an Italian university next year, but i have since read some disturbing things about how foreign lettori are treated by the universities- about not being paid etc. I would be interested to hear about how things are for other english language lettori, as regards pay, working conditions and anything else- can the system really be as stone age as it sounds? one of my main concerns is getting paid on time, as i will not studying myself, and not working too many hours, and will need money to live!
Caroline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Getting paid by Italian universities Reply with quote

I work at a private language school in Central Italy. Several colleagues supplement their income by teaching at an Italian university here. Usually they have been paid at the end of the academic school year. So, for example, if they have taught a course that went from October 2003-May 2004, they get all of the money around July 2004. They told me they have always been paid eventually, but the money can arrive quite late. For example, one of them still hasn't got paid for this year and is getting a bit nervous as he is leaving for summer vacation soon!

I don't think it's a good job if you've got no savings or other work! But it does pay a lot better than private language schools. Maybe you could teach at the university part-time and do some hours with a language school (which usually pay at the end of each month).

Hope this helps and good luck.
daily chai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so PT lecturers get paid at the end of the year (uck) but what about FT? Anyone know? That's a really serious disincentive if so.
russett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Anyone with more info on these lettori positions? Reply with quote

Hello All:

Could anyone provide information regarding being a foreign lettore in Italy? I'm a native English speaker with an Italian BA, a TESOL certificate and an EU passport, so I believe my qualifications are okay, what's your opinion?

Three questions:

How does one find out about these jobs? I'm specifically interested in living in Rome.

What does the job entail? Are you teaching lit courses, or English as a language?

What type of contracts are offered, one year or longer? And as one person has already asked, do full-time lettori get paid more often than once a year?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: