Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help...we've got a lot of questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

The best mindset to have when living in Mexico is...
Do or die: I'm sticking it out if I have to live in a cardboard box
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
We'll see: when the going gets tough, I've got my return ticket
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Saftey net: I expect things will get hard--that's what my life savings is for!
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
tequila glass half-full: stop worrying, everything will be just fine!
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Anna R.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Help...we've got a lot of questions Reply with quote

Hi, my girlfriend and I are planning to go to Mexico (most likely to Guadalajara) to teach English for a year or more. We're thinking about taking a (rather expensive) TEFL certification course before going, not just for improving our chances, but for confidence and skills. I speak Spanish fluently, and my girlfriend speaks at a basic level. We're both about to graduate from college with BA's. And as the date approaches to confirm our slots in the TEFL program, we're starting to get scared. So if somebody could take the time to answer some of our million questions, it might make us feel better, and if you do, we'll buy you a magarita when we get there. Very Happy

We've been reading the board for a while, but it seems that although it's possible to live on a teacher's wage, it's pretty tight. What's the cost of living in Mexico, and how much can we expect to earn with two teaching jobs between us? How much can we pull in a month from private tutoring?

How long should it take us to find a job? Will our youth and inexperience be a problem? (we're 22, but we look younger) Is there a point when we should give up? When we find a job, how can we take precautions against getting ripped off? (I've read some horror stories.)

Should we get visas or try to live under the table? Is this something our employer can arrange for us, or do we have to do it ourselves?

What's the crime like in Guadalajara? Are there special precautions we can take? (again, horror stories)

And finally (breath) is there a time of year that it's best to go, like when the school year begins?

I told you we had a million questions, but if somebody could pick a few that they're comfortable, maybe we could warm our cold feet! Thanks.

-Anna
Pete Brown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: aaahhhhh!! I�m also confused but can one question maybe Reply with quote

Hi there Anna,
If you look just below this post you will see that your not alone in being confused about Mexico Confused , I also am heading out there and have simular questions.
The one question I can possibliy answer for you is about the best time to get a job, from reading and talking to people who have been there.
As far as I can make out the end of August to the start of September is the best time to pick up work.
Good luck in getting out there, I will keep an eye on this post to see if some of my questions will be answered here. Laughing

Yours equally confused

Pete
P.S I�m a Tequila glass half full man at heart, so I recon it�ll all work out in the end
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: