Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My quest for Romanian citizenship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
scot47



Joined: 10 Jan 2003
Posts: 15330

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What worries me is that naturegirl with her newly-acquired Romanian nationality will get the government to pursue a "Romania Mare" policy and Bulgaria will again lose the Dobruja to these Chauvinistsrunning the show in Bucharest.

I am having sleepless nights about this. However since you all worry about me I will post daily messages on how I am feeling in my struggle to cope with this neurosis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bebsi



Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 958

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Scot47 Reply with quote

Please DO Scot...we will be fascinated by your daily battles, just as we are with NG's...it was most considerate of her to decide to inform us of EVERY minute development in her quest for Romanian citizenship!!

I will do likewise in my quest for Tanzanian naturalisation. In my search for more info, I have discovered that my Rift Valley ancestors moved from there some time ago and went to Europe, among other places. In turn, they went from there a while later to the US in...I hate to say this...pre-columbian times. My conclusions from doing some research are that you could be a distant relative of mine, Scot. So could Naturegirl!!

I can prove to you NG, that you do indeed have Tanzanian (well, maybe Kenyan or Zambian) ancestors. Do you wish to apply for citizenship? I can provide further info if you do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 9041
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Scot47 Reply with quote

Bebsi wrote:
P
lease DO Scot...we will be fascinated by your daily battles, just as we are with NG's...it was most considerate of her to decide to inform us of EVERY minute development in her quest for Romanian citizenship!!


NO one's making you read this post. Simply don't read it, if you don't like it, it's that easy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Henry_Cowell



Joined: 27 May 2005
Posts: 3352
Location: Berkeley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread looked pretty interesting. My father was born in Transylvania in 1915, a 'citizen' of the old Austro-Hungarian Empire. He and his Hungarian-speaking family emigrated to the U.S. in 1930. And I DID know since my childhood that my father was born in Transylvania (now part of Romania).

Naturegirl, are you telling us that while you were growing up, you DID NOT KNOW where your mother was born? Did she hide that fact from you?

I guess I had the same question as bebsi: When I read in NG's initial post that she had "just found out that [her] mother is Romanian", I wondered where she'd thought her mother had been born. The U.S.? Somewhere else?

Did you, NG, go to Romania in the first place without knowing that it was your mother's birthplace?? This seems a little far-fetched and coincidental. (I think that was bebsi's stumbling block too.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 9041
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Cowell wrote:


Naturegirl, are you telling us that while you were growing up, you DID NOT KNOW where your mother was born? Did she hide that fact from you?
I guess I had the same question as bebsi: When I read in NG's initial post that she had "just found out that [her] mother is Romanian", I wondered where she'd thought her mother had been born. The U.S.? Somewhere else?


NO, my mother immigrated when she was 2. BUt was born to an American mother and Romanian father. Under Romanian law, my granmother gave up her American citizenship by marrying a Romanian. My mom became American at age 9. I've never been to Romania.
We all thought that by becoming American, she gave up all other citizenship, which was true at the time, however, since then America recognises dual cit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Henry_Cowell



Joined: 27 May 2005
Posts: 3352
Location: Berkeley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... Thanks, NG. So your initial statement was incorrect in the OP (namely, that you had only recently discovered that your mother was born in Romania).

Instead, the correct statement was that you had only recently discovered that your mother might still have Romanian citizenship. Or am I still confused?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 9041
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's right.

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bebsi



Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 958

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: NGs Romanian citizenship (Aspired) Reply with quote

Henry,

I don't think we should ask NG too many pertinent questions as they seem to be putting her under major pressure. What might seem logical to most, does not necessarily seem logical to all!!

I'd gathered that NG knew all along that her mum was born in Romania. It also appears from her various postings that she didn't know that the said mum still retained her citizenship, and that this could be the cornerstone of her application. From what I gather, she (NG) spent a lot of time agonising over how she could get Romanian citizenship, before this realisation. What stumps me is this: by simple virtue of her mother being Romanian, why didn't she bring this fact to the attention of the Romanian immigration authorities, irrespective of what per mum's perceived citizenship might be. It strikes me as the logical procedure.

I will put it another way: if I was looking for citizenship of the planet Zog, and my mother had been born there, this is the first thing I would point out to the Zoggian authorities, even if I was under the misleading impression that she was not a citizen of Zog as a result of acquiring Earthling status. I certainly would be agonising over whether and how I could get a Zoggian passport.

BTW, Henry, I am not using this analogy for your benefit, as you obviously understand what I am getting at, as I am sure will most readers. However, NG seems to have a problem following my logic. She seems to think that as she wasn't aware of her mum's Romanian CITIZENSHIP, that it wouldn't be a relevant factor. Jesus...WHY NOT??

Incidentally, NG, as a separate issue I suggest you go and acquire a sense of humour before going anywhere near Europe, for your own sake. You appear to be distinctly lacking in any kind of sense of irony or self-deprecation. My Romanian fiancee, who has been reading this thread, has asked me to pass on a message, saying that she is embarrassed. I don't know what she means Confused, I am just the messenger so don't shoot me!

To refer to your earlier retort, if I really didn't want to read your postings, why would I do so? I read them because I WANT to...they are funny and constitute a great source of entertainment. I must admit that I am very perplexed (it means puzzled) by your reasons for informing us of every tiny nuance in your application. In a perverse way however, I am very glad you have chosen to do so.

Finally, your various signatures are in themselves of interest.

Quote:
Getting married as soon as I get my documents.

"If you enjoy what you do, you'll never work another day in your life." "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Teaching at a university in Northwest Peru.


I am thinking of following in your footsteps and adopting similar signatures. What do readers think of the following?:

Getting married soon and going on a honeymoon...then when we come back we will clean the house, have dinner and go to bed.

"I enjoy doing many things but the more I do them, the more I have to work to pay for them". "A lot ventured but shag-all gained!"

Working at a university in Saudi Arabia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bebsi



Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 958

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: My Earthling Status Reply with quote

In my previous posting, I wrote the following

Quote:
I certainly would be agonising over whether and how I could get a Zoggian passport.


This contained a minor error; I meant of course to say that I certainly would NOT be agonising etc. Mea Culpa!

I will make a further observation, while I am here. While I continually slag you off NG, I would expect you to retort by slapping me in the face with the dirty wet rag of witty riposte. However, all you do is stamp your foot indignantly, on the occasions you are actually aware of my humour-poking. You disappoint me, NG.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Henry_Cowell



Joined: 27 May 2005
Posts: 3352
Location: Berkeley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: NGs Romanian citizenship (Aspired) Reply with quote

Bebsi wrote:
What stumps me is this: by simple virtue of her mother being Romanian, why didn't she bring this fact to the attention of the Romanian immigration authorities, irrespective of what per mum's perceived citizenship might be. It strikes me as the logical procedure.

Exactly right. It puzzled me, too. But it would have shortened the diary considerably, eh?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bebsi



Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 958

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: NG, Kevin Costner and Giant Killer Tomatoes Reply with quote

Hmmm...excellent point Henry, it would indeed have shortened the diary. Which leads me to another rather logical conclusion: NG wasn't so much concerned with getting Romanian citizenship, as with entertaining us all at length, albeit unsuccessfully...a bit like a Kevin Costner epic or Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate.

Then again, it HAS provided us with a considerable deal of entertainment, and therefore has inded been a success, just not in the way that was intended. A bit like those awful B-movies that were so bad they were bloody good, e.g. The Attack of the Giant Killer Tomatoes.

From now on, can we consider a citizenship application form from NG...or even another posting keeping us abreast of her "quest"... to be the modern equivalent of a great, big squelchy tomato, three metres in diameter, rumbling and rolling towards us full of menace and foreboding?

*SHUDDER* Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 9041
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NGs Romanian citizenship (Aspired) Reply with quote

Henry_Cowell wrote:
Bebsi wrote:
What stumps me is this: by simple virtue of her mother being Romanian, why didn't she bring this fact to the attention of the Romanian immigration authorities, irrespective of what per mum's perceived citizenship might be. It strikes me as the logical procedure.

Exactly right. It puzzled me, too. But it would have shortened the diary considerably, eh?


I've been to the authorities. Here's the problems. SHe changed her name and got married and never registered this info with the authoriites. Before they will issue her a passport, she has to do that. Then she has to register me as her child and then I can get a passport. You can't just walk into the embassy and demand a passport without the proper docs. And I agree, it would seem logical, but I have to follow the rules that the ROmanian govt sets. I think that you are talking about something that you have no idea about
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 9041
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My Earthling Status Reply with quote

[quote="Bebsi"I will make a further observation, while I am here. While I continually slag you off NG, I would expect you to retort by slapping me in the face with the dirty wet rag of witty riposte. However, all you do is stamp your foot indignantly, on the occasions you are actually aware of my humour-poking. You disappoint me, NG.[/quote]

Guess I just don't want to sink to your level.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Henry_Cowell



Joined: 27 May 2005
Posts: 3352
Location: Berkeley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just don't get it, naturegirl.

When you had the VERY FIRST thought about obtaining Romanian citizenship (well before you started this diary), you already knew that your mother was born there. Why didn't you ask the authorities in Romania AT THAT VERY MOMENT what you would need? You might have gotten enough information so that you would KNOW that your mother still had the possibility of holding citizenship... instead of waiting for that little piece of info to fall into your lap accidentally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bebsi



Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 958

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Romanian citizenship. Reply with quote

I think you're very right, Henry...she doesn't get it at all. I think we could be wasting our precious breath here, what do you reckon?

NG, you say you wouldn't want to "sink to (my) level". Is engaging in repartee sinking to a level lower than that at which you perceive yourself to be? For your own sake you shouldn't allow your ego to take over here. It IS a public forum, where witty repartee and verbal jousting are among the activities you can expect to see. Most people join a forum such as this to be enlightened and entertained, not to solely witness the quest of one individual for citizenship of a country or whatever.
Lighten up, NG, to use an American expression. Maybe you feel ill-equipped for any verbal jousting? If so, you shouldn't enter the contest n the first place.

That being said, if you could just answer a simple question, you would save yourself a lot of grief here! You agonised (incuding through this forum) for ages about how to get Romanian citizenship. You then come waltzing in and announce that you have just found out that your mother was still a Romanian citizen. No-one is asking you about your difficulties with the Romanian bureaucracy. [As it happens, I know a lot more about it than you do as I live here, so please do not condescendingly tell ME about it!] I have no doubt at all that you have problems with that, which is fair enough. That is NOT the issue however. What I am asking is this: if you knew all along that your mother HAD BEEN BORN in Romania (forget her citizenship for the moment, here), why didn't you make raising this with the Romanian authorities your very first action? They would have informed you that she was still a citizen; more pertinently, they would have informed you that this fact would in itself render you eligible for citizenship.

In simple terms, here, you omitted to tell them something very important when you first started your enquiries about citizenship. Why? How could you not think it was highly relevant, that your mother had been born there? This has nothing to do whatsoever with what you THOUGHT her citizenship was or what her name was. Is it that you omitted something really important through your negligence, and are now trying to cover your embarrassment? If that is the case, you should just own up, we all make mistakes. But please answer the question directly.

If you are going to run an account of something in a public forum, you must be prepared to answer questions about that particular subject. To have an aversion to open discussion on matters that YOU raise in such a forum, is like wanting to be a professional model but being camera shy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China