Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Family sponsorship question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pearl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Family sponsorship question Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

A married female friend of my mine from U.S. wants to apply for teaching positions at Ajman University. I have heard that a female may not be able to sponsor her family according to the UAE law. She has heard otherwise.

Can someone please clarify this. If she gets a job offer (family status job), can she take her family along? Can she sponsor them? Is it allowed by the law?

Thank you.
spicegirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pearl,
Females employed in certain categories of jobs/professions are allowed to sponsor their spouse and family. University teachers (lecturers) are one of the categories who can do this, and I know many women here in the UAE who are sponsoring their husband and children, or only their children if they're a divorced mother with custody of the children. I'm sure others on the forum can speak from personal experience and give you a more detailed response about this.
Pearl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spicegirl: Thanks for the prompt reply.
Needmyjob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: It can be done Reply with quote

Yes, I am one of many women sponsoring family (but not at Ajman U). If you are a teacher or university faculty, you are entitled by federal law to sponsor your husband and/or children's residence visa(s).

However, employers are not required to offer you family status. The UAEU, HCT and some others do, as a matter of routine.

Knowing that, you should prepare to negotiate family status benefits. Some jobs offer all family benefits readily; at other institutions, these are negotiable, and some schools offer only single status jobs to females.

Family status benefits to clarify can include things like:
*housing/furniture accommodations/allowance
*educational allowance/school fees
*round-trip airfare
*health insurance for self and dependents

There is also the psychological side of living here. When one spouse has a university contract, the other spouse typically gets a much lower-paying job, if s/he finds work at all. This can put stress on a relationship.

There are even little annoyances that can build up. For example, the dependent spouse needs the other's permission to buy a car or get a cell phone.

Most of us handle the situation well....just be sure exactly what Ajman U is offering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: