Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

australian/new zealand residency as an ESL teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ally

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: australian/new zealand residency as an ESL teacher Reply with quote

I�m looking at applying for Australian residency under skilled migration as an ESL teacher. Has anyone heard if and where it fits into the skills list? I tried ringing the people who do the qualifications assessments to see what kind of teachers they accept, but they wouldn�t tell me! they said i had to apply and see, but it costs a few hundred dollars to do this...
Any similar info on New Zealand would also be appreciated. Cheers.
deezy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you luck. I think you might have a better chance applying to NZ. My daughter has just got her Australian residency approved after applying 4 years ago, and that's with me being a full Citizen for 14 years. There's not much hope for work in Australia as an EFL/ESL teacher unless you have a Degree, a TEFL qualification, and you now have to have the Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training...that's mandatory even if you have a Masters...for teaching at TAFE or University...created a furore when the ruling came in. And the pay's naff.

Sorry to be a killjoy. If I could get work locally in Melbourne as an ESL teacher I would, believe me, and I have all the above.

(feeling a bit homesick at the moment).
KCA420

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by KCA420 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Harri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with New Zealand. I've just come back from their and there are virtually no jobs for EFL teachers in private schools. Having said that, one guy at work was in the process of becoming a resident. I think in NZ, it helps if you have a job there already with a company that has promised to employ you for about four or five years. When you have this, you apply and if successful you name goes into a pool with the number of points that you. First of all the cream off all those with a certain number of points or higher and then some/a few months later they look at the next lot and it becomes a bit of a lottery. It's not guaranteed.
cariduit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to come to discussion so late, but also curious to hear more about this cert iv requirement...can anyone shed more light?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: