Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

www.prava.ru (English Version)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saikonaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: www.prava.ru (English Version) Reply with quote

hello,

Does anyone else here read pravda.ru ?

At times I find it bordering on comical but at other times it makes me mad. Not because it is so nationalistic and anti-Western (in particular towards America but also most countries are subject to its editorials), as I can handle that, but because its not subjective at all. What happened to the news and only the news? I agree that American TV media has become more right wing and opinionated in recent years (mainly regarding political issues) but nowhere near the audacity of this journal.

I can't imagine if Pravda is popular, and if so, how many people actually believe the propaganda behind its "misinformation campaign". I've talked to a friend in Moscow about it and she said that Pravda is an old Communist newspaper that she would never take seriously.

Can anyone else shed some light on Pravda's history and influence? Do people take the paper seriously? I'm very curious about it. Even if I don't agree, I read it for another viewpoint.

On the other hand, I find The Moscow Times to be quite credible.

Thank you!
saikonaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Pravda could use a good English editor.

I'd take the job! Twisted Evil Cool
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pravda was the organ of the Communist party and I suppose it still is. This may be why it is so anti western. However, criticism of the West and of the USA in particular is common around the world, especially now. I imagine you can find such criticism in many news sources in Russia.
saikonaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Pravda was the organ of the Communist party and I suppose it still is. This may be why it is so anti western. However, criticism of the West and of the USA in particular is common around the world, especially now. I imagine you can find such criticism in many news sources in Russia.

I agree, such criticism is common and often deservedly-so. I just felt that this paper was not only extreme, but "extremely extreme" Confused

Thanks!
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: anti-American sentiments Reply with quote

Greetings Saikonaut:

Since the topic of anti-American'ism' has been raised, I wanted to take a moment to offer some candid advice to you and any other 'first-timers' to Russia.

Russians have 'mixed' feelings about the USA. On a personal one-on-one level, they are usually very friendly, welcoming and curious about us. On a deeper level, however, there is still a great deal of mistrust, as well as a feeling of being 'wounded' as a result of having lost the Cold War.

At the same time, and to illustrate the above point in even more detail: I would argue that Russians today are generally more tolerant and accepting of Germans. Why? Because the USSR (together with the USA and many other countries) defeated the Germans in WWII. Despite the enormous casualties of that war, the USSR WON, fair and square, and they accept those human losses as the inevitable cost of that victory. And, to be perfectly blunt, they're just proud that they won it. Plain and simple.

Even today, the National holiday marking the USSR's victory over Nazi Germany (May 9th) is the most widely celebrated holiday on the Russian calendar. It is one of the very few Russian holidays where people of all parties and ideologies set aside their differences and 'come together' to celebrate.

So, my advice is this: Even today, years after the Cold War ... it is still best for Americans (myself included Wink ) NOT to wear our American patriotism on our shirt sleeves. In other words, if you "walk softly" and try to be diplomatic, you will generally have no problems with the 'average folk' here in Russia.

Of course, you can and should 'be yourself'. Don't be afraid to voice your opinions on different issues, but be aware that the mistrust and feeling of being 'wounded' I described above are real, to varying levels depending on the age and education of the people you're with at any given moment.

Good Luck Saikonaut Exclamation
kEnt

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent is correct. Russians are very proud people. One difference I noticed between Russians and Ukrainians is that Russians are more chauvinistic than Ukrainians. Every Russian I asked believed that there was a conspiracy to screw the Russians out of medals in the last Winter Olympics. The veneration of the Great Patriotic War has gone to such extremes that two of my students (20 somethings) believed that Stalin was a great man for no other reason than he "defeated fascism." Rolling Eyes (I decided not to mention the Molotov-Ribbentropp pact, the purges in the army etc.)

You in Russia, ask your students, or anybody, if they believe that Americans landed on the moon. The responses may surprise you.

Russians even take a certain pride in the Russian mafia. Russians often bragged how the Russian mafia was taking over the US.

But of course, Kent is right. No reason to provoke Anti-American feelings by advertising our identity. And I am well aware that we Americans can appear arrogant to people in other countries.

Buck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: