Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is it like in Kuwait?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rania_g

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: How is it like in Kuwait? Reply with quote

My boyfriend is moving to Kuwait by next Jan., he already got a job there and we want to move together but I am not sure of how is it like. Will it be ok if we are living together there or we can't ? how about dress codes for women, is it like Saudi? and what about jobs, can I get a job when I go there or I would need a sponser to arrange that first before I go? any ideas?? Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rania,

You are using an Arabic name and your English suggests that you are not a native speaker. Thus I find it surprising that you seem to have such a lack of knowledge about the Muslim culture. It is illegal for two unrelated people of the opposite sex to live together in the Middle East unless you are married. The reality is that if you are both white westerners, you can probably avoid being arrested, but if either of you are not, you are taking a huge risk. But, I also know of two British passport holders who ended up in jail in Dubai a few years back because someone filed a complaint against them. The law is on the books there and they can enforce it any time they wish.

You will not be able to stay in the country unless you have an employer who will provide you with a work visa. Your boyfriend can NOT sponsor you. You may be able to get a job there on a short term tourist/visit visa, but I would not count on an employer who would go to the trouble of getting you a residence visa. So I would recommend that you have a job before you go.

If you are serious about going to Kuwait with this man, it would be better to marry him first and take your marriage license with you to prove it.

As to dress, you will see local women wearing everything from the Brittany Spears look (no bare midriffs though) all the way to fully veiled and everything in between. I recommend that women dress somewhere in the middle - as little bare skin as possible - no shorts except at sports clubs - no sleeveless tops. Skirts are more comfortable than trousers, but keep to the longer lengths. Better to be too modest than to be inappropriate.

VS
rania_g

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise, and my name is Indian not Arabic.. cheers
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rania,

Well, if you are Indian, it is even more crucial that you do not live with your boyfriend in the Gulf. They will assume that you are a prostitute. Please do get married if you decide to go there with him. Kuwaiti jails are not a pleasant place to be for young Indian women arrested for this crime.

Good Luck!!

VS
jd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Life in Kuwait Reply with quote

My husband is already in Kuwait, (4 days), and I will join him in a year. I have 2 children, 10 and 7, they play outside in the neighborhood, ride bikes, play ball. Is there an environment in Kuwait that will allow them to stay this active? We are american and used to our freedom. As a woman, how free am I to explore Kuwait with the kids, my husband will be working a lot. I spent the summer in Amman Jordan and hated it. Garbage and filth every where. Every time I was out in public people stared, and I always felt I was being taken advantage of by taxi drivers. My style of dress was capri pants and short sleeved shirts, sandals. What can I expect in Kuwait? I hope they at least put garbage in garbage cans.
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capri pants? What on earth are these? Something required for a medical complaint?
jd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capri pants are where the hem ends 6 inches below the knee, designed for hot weather, popular in the 50's and 60's and renewed in the 90's and current.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jd,

I answered in the other thread.

Vs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: