Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Up in smoke...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Up in smoke... Reply with quote

Some years ago while teaching montagnards in Laos for a christian relief organization,we were all sat round a fire reading psalms, when the village elder,(Chief Ho t Naif), suddenly got out a strange, brown, weed-like substance.When smoked through an object known in their language as a 'chee lum' it had the most enlightening effect.I've mentioned this story to various people over the years with mixed response.One of my colleagues suggested that it was 'a bit unprofessional' of me to partake in front of the younger members of the tribe, who were also my students.Has anyone had a similar experience?If so, do tell.Opinions most welcome.
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: At the risk of replying to a troll post... Reply with quote

I have a cousin who taugh English and Spanish to Nicaraguan natives a few years back, and they had an 'enlightening' drink called ayahuasca. I'm sure those in Latin America know what this stuff is. It's a shamanic brew with effects similar to peyote or mushrooms. There are plenty of ayahuasca cults around North and South America and the ingredients are legal in most countries, including the USA.
Anyway, he partook in an ayahuasca ceremony and said that later he felt guilty as it wasn't his religion or tradition. It was an interesting experience for him, but it was the life and religion of his hosts and they truly believed in it's trancendental mystos. He got plenty of questions afterwards and had to make up stories and feelings about nothing more than an LSD trip, and had to turn down other 'excursions' with no explanation. In the end he said he felt that it hurt his relationship with the tribe. It all boils down to a personal ethics question, I guess.
gerard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should all be so lucky to work under the tutelage of "Chief Hotknife."
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Smokin' Reply with quote

Dear itslatedoors,
How refreshing to see someone concerned with professional ethics. The answer to your question was provided by that model of ethical behavior, Bill Clinton: it's OK to smoke, just as long as you don't inhale.
Regards,
John
gecko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: culture Reply with quote

Culture is culture. I'm just windering if it would have been rude to refuse. I probably wouldn't worry too much, if I read your post correctly I can only assume that your students are used to seeing it and probably have no awareness of the effects or the ethics of it all.
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Maybe It WAS Just a Strange Brown Weed Reply with quote

So now we know.I knew there must be an explanation there somewhere...and now the proverbial cat is out of the bag.Maybe it was just common pot he was smoking...maybe it was just a common brown weed...maybe it was really something esoteric! Shades of Haight-Ashbury!
Shades of "Alternate States"! How...uh, ya know like GROOVY,man!!! Laughing
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Where have all the good blokes gone.....? Reply with quote

Yep,I couldn't agree more bnix,the cat certainly is out of the bag.It's a good job that Gunther Prien (and not you ) was in charge of U47 when he sank the Royal Oak.Had you been in charge you'd have probably missed that sitter too.It's good to have a wind up every now and again and while I truly believe that the Carribean dancing herb has many beneficial effects, none compensate for having a lack of humour. Try this one at a party, it might get a laugh.

A man goes into the optician's one day carrying a box under his arm.The optician says,"Good morning sir.How can I help you?"
The man replies,"Thank god I got here ,you've really got to help me doc."
(Doc)-"What seems to be the problem?"
(Man)-"Well it's not me doc ,it's my box,have a look."
The doc steps back and gasps as the man opens his box to reveal an enormous, steaming,yellow turd.
(Doc)-"My god man I'm an optician,I can't help you with that.Why did you come to me?."
(Man)-"Well,it's making my eyes water."BOOM BOOM.Light(en) up folks.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Aha Reply with quote

Dear itslatedoors,
Well, after seeing your joke, I completely understand why you think keNt and I aren't funny. Keep those compliments coming.
Regards,
John
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: "Doors",It's Later Than You Think... Reply with quote

So now he is posting "poo-poo" jokes on Dave's.SUCH class!!! Rolling Eyes How,uh,GROOVY Laughing And who the hell is Gunther Prien?And WHO cares?And what does it matter? Rolling Eyes
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: gunther prien Reply with quote

Gunther Prien ? I thought everyone knew who he was ! He was the Captain of U-boat Number 47 which torpedoed HMS Royal Oak in Scapa Flow.

But I too could do without the jokes about bodily functions !
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: ranting Reply with quote

Before your next rants ,(Scot47 and bnix),go down to a dodgy part of town and score some pot.Then,go to the 'offie' and say",Ten silk cut and a packet of kingskins please."(Resist the temptation to say",Ten cans of Special Brew"(Hamish).Go home, toke up and then feel weight removed from shoulders....then and only then, post on Dave's.It may even give you both better insights and value judgements.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: dope fiend Reply with quote

So you are a dope fiend eh ? And interested in bodily functions.
Can't you go and find an adolescent site somewhere and leave us grownups in peace ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: