Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Employment Opportunities
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
globalguru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Employment Opportunities Reply with quote

Hello all:

I'm a TEFL certified university graduate currently teaching high school English in China. I have my sights set on Argetina, though. Here are my questions:

1. When is the best time to find work? Ideally, I'd like to hit Argentina in early 2006, but if there is an absolutely advantageous time, I'd love to know.

2. With some experience, a degree, and a TEFL...are there many doors open for me? Or do these things matter little in Argentina? What are the wages like?

3. Any recommendations for a particular city, region, or town in particular? I must confess I don't know the country very well but am intrigued.

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
runabout

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globalguru

I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer your questions, but I moved to BsBa (Buenos Aires) about eighteen months ago, in May, with CV's in hand and nothing else to go by.

Within a month, I had four decent jobs in four places around the city. The jobs were all in language schools, and the pay was more than enough to live on if you don't eat steak for EVERY meal.

My plan was to work all four jobs until I found the one that I really liked and could get more classes. Yet, since I teach at the Univ level (preferred) I got a better offer in Europe and split.

Again, I was in BsBa and lived in Capital Federal -- two of my jobs were inside the cap, and two were outside of it. I found it easier to find work outside than inside (BsBa is an enormous city, you kinda have to see it to believe it). Rent and food is cheaper outside the cap. but then you don't get to call yourself a Porteno Smile

Normally, I can tell you that they do follow a "semester" type system at all schools. I don't remember exactly when that begins or ends, as it turned out to be nil for me.

Hope this sheds some light on the matter.
globalguru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Cool- thanks. I've heard from others that most teachers that aspire to live in Buenos Aires simply turn up and start there, as securing jobs prior to departure is difficult. Thanks again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Maria Kirby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that�s nice to know, i mean jobs in BA, i�m still in Madrid and having a great time but other Spanish speaking countries can be considered as well. just for variety?!

the spanish they speak there in BA - well, there are some words commonly used in Sapin that you better NOT use in BA! I know some of them! Embarassed

maria
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: dead on Reply with quote

That's absolutely correct.

Hazte seguro que REcoges bien las detalles. La alternativa puede ser muy divertida, pero peligrosa tambien.

I love Spanish
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Maria Kirby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great try! But you still can�t make me publicly say what those words are! Very Happy

hasta pronto y saludos,

maria
Phil_b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else (used to Spain) tried to 'coger el autobus'? Embarassed
Maria Kirby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you got it, but there are more, so just to show you how languages can be soooo interesting! This brings me to the US vs UK English which has these very interesting meanings as well!

Now Phil that�s a thread for you to start!

Very Happy
maria
Phil_b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine found it hilarious when in a chemists (drugstore) in NYC they had "fanny firmer" on sale.... It doesn't have exactly the same meaning here..... Laughing
Maria Kirby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you know those were the words I had in mind, fanny (US) vs fanny (UK)??

One interesting line as well was: Knock you up, (US), Knock you up (UK). A friend of mine (US) received this kind offer from her friend (UK) which went this way:

US: Don�t know how to wake up for my 8:00 am class! My alarm clock is completely bust.

UK: Not to worry I�ll knock you up at 6:00am tomorrow!

From what I gathered US wasn�t very happy, UK was completely baffled at why his gesture of kindness was received with such wrath, until a common friend intervened and explained the interesting meaning to this line as per country that you come from.

I�ve got a lot more of these but I have to pop into my old TEFL school and harrass my tutor for all his anecdotes!

hasta luego!

maria
OzBurn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runabout, could you be a bit more specific about salaries? Others have posted c. 10 pesos/hour. Does that match your experience?

Thanks.
runabout

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OzBurn wrote:
Runabout, could you be a bit more specific about salaries? Others have posted c. 10 pesos/hour. Does that match your experience?

Thanks.

Again my info is old and god and the Argentines (and anyone else staying there) knows what's happened with the currency. I haven't kept up.

A year and a half ago, I laughed and laughed and ran out of a lang. school that offered me 12 pesos. I even demanded my CV back from the manager as I didn't want to waste one. If you've got credentials a decent CV, you should be looking for a min of 15 pesos, and possibly, if you're good, nearly 20.

I checked into simply running my own "business" by getting steady private Ss and business clients (you need a license which if you speak spanish, or Porteno is better, is easy -- I've heard). My source told me he gets 17-20 per hour, depending.

However, let me be frank, I'm lazy and used to college classes. A thirty contact hour a week job ain't for me and I won't do it. You could prob. live on 12 pesos (or its value now) if you work hard.

So, let me put it in US dollar terms, or perhaps Euros would be better as at least that currency hasn't gone into the dumps -- I probably lived on about 350USD or roughly 290 E a month. I did live cheaply as I'm not the clubbing sort of guy nor one who spent much time watching the fancy Tango shows (you can see the free ones every Sunday in various places in the Capital). An apt would be more expensive than my hotel (I love dives), but this should give you an idea, at least.

Lastly, I did eat steak everyday. Sometimes twice a day.

Hope this helps.

Runabout
matttheboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I charge 20pesos an hour or 18 if they pay for 5 lessons up front. If you get business clients you can charge up to 30pesos (a friend got lucky and met an argie women who ran private classes and gave a few to my friend who has no experience of tefl and simply went and 'chatted'- annoyed me a bit really). You'd have to be very lucky to pick up 30 peso an hour classes but it is possible.

Schools do indeed pay you around 10-14 pesos an hour but that's because they're all cheating corrupt bsatards Evil or Very Mad

Oh, and in local currency terms, 1000 pesos is worth more or less the same as it was when it was 1-1 with the $, it's just worth 3 times less outside of the country. Imported goods are now 3 times more expensive but local produce is pretty much the same.
runabout

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matttheboy wrote:
Oh, and in local currency terms, 1000 pesos is worth more or less the same as it was when it was 1-1 with the $

Well, if Matttheboy is right with the one to one currency, then for private students you should be looking at 20-25 pesos, and certainly if you can get a contract with a business, 35 pesos (the contract is real and you must pay taxes on this). I base this not on my experience but on the laments of a guy who's been working in BsBa privately for some 15 years. He said the "good ol' days" he got up to 40 pesos -- and that was when the currency was pegged to the buck. If you want to do the contract work for businesses, brush up on your powerpoint presentations 'cause you'll be selling not only yourself (e.g. like an interview) but what you can teach, specifically, to that company. Do your homework is what I'm saying, I guess. Again, based on my source, once you're working for one co, other co's will take you more seriously. This, by the way is also true for ALL schools in BsBa -- until I got my first job, getting interviews was quite difficult. My advice would be to take any old job and then search for others because you then have a BsBa reference which seemed in my experience to make all the difference in the world.

Mattttheboy (how many t's are there?): did you have a similar experience in regard to the local reference idea? Just curious.

Runabout
matttheboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 t's!! and yes, once you know one person you know their best friend's sister's cat's cousin's brother's uncle and all their associates. Don't pis s anyone off or you'll be blacklisted by every single person they know, and that can be a lot of people...

I've posted before that you can live off a little more than 1000pesos a month here if you're a bit careful so that works out at about 50 hours a month of 20peso lesssons. Of course it can take you a while to get set up with that amount of hours, something i've not really bothered to do as i'll soon be semi-retiring from the teaching profession to open my own business Very Happy

I posted on another thread that to find private students you should write a letter and attach a business card outlining your services (conversation, exam prep etc) in Spanish and go round all the apartment blocks in your area and leave the letter in every postbox of every flat. Most buildings have a portero who'll let you in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: