Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

masters from a uni or tefl?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: masters from a uni or tefl? Reply with quote

Hi, I really want to teach in the Middle East - and am intending to get my Masters so that I can do that....how does a Masters ( in applied linguistics ) rate versus one of those " Masters" TEFL courses I see advertised around....I've been accepted at Australia's U.N.E. but am wondering if that's the right option. It seems to me that a university Masters is preferable to a TEFL Masters - but is it?
Also, will that plus 3 yrs experience be enough - or do I need to do a TEFL or CELTA course too? My undergrad majors were in Communication and English but I don't actually have training as a teacher...
Thanks, Nicole
riz2003

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: comparison Reply with quote

I have 2 friends who are ESL teachers and both went to Australian Universities.One went to Griffith University in Brisbane and did a Masters of Arts in Applied Linguistics, and the other went to the Queensland University of Technology and did a Masters of Education in TESOL. When they compared their subjects, they found some to be very similar. However, both were experienced teachers before completing their courses.
monkel

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: re: comparison Reply with quote

thanks for your help - actually I went to Qld Uni for my undegrad degree, close to both of the 2 you mentioned. I have experience as an esl teacher but since I'm planning to be a "career" teacher and actually save money doing it, I don't want to put a foot wrong at this stage. If anyone has an opinion about doing a masters versus just a tesol course please advise! they would cost me about the same!

Yours gratefully,
Nicole
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: ma or cert/dip Reply with quote

In the ME university degrees are what you need. The more, the better. They love doctorates - even if what is really needed is a competent teacher. We have all come across people with stacks of qualifications who could not teach for toffee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: