Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shanghai questions (SARS free)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Shanghai questions (SARS free) Reply with quote

Hola!

I received an interesting e-mail from an Orchard Language School in Shanghai looking for warm bodies to teach students there. They stated that they were looking for kindy teachers especially so I decided to give them a look.

The job states 1000 US Dollars per month plus a 2,000 RMB housing allowance. I do not know how many hours I have to work, but this is somewhat of a decent job here in beautiful Hangzhou.

Could I live in Shanghai on 10,000 RMB a month? How much is a decent rental there? Is there a lot of private students and second jobs to be had? (I can work everyday in Hangzhou if I desire)

Is Orchard a decent outfit? I am going to call them tomorrow and maybe head up to Shanghai in a week or so to check them out, see a friend and go to some watering holes for some (see PS). Mr. Oz, I would be honored to meet you.

SENOR

P.S. You cannot say C_ _ KTAILS (an alcoholic drink) on this board.
wOZfromOZ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola hola

Thanks Senor!!

Mate -
I e-mailed them back in 1999 and got a reply. - They're a private school and if you're prepared to accept 10000 then good luck to you but I wouldn't! 15000 is what I'd be asking!
The contract is pretty standard but it's a private language place ......enough said!LOL

all the best ......and we will get a chance in Summer mate!
(I've got 3 weeks hols coming up. Also got another little one coming at the end of July. - so just wait on a bit.)

wOZfromOZ
luceluceluce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Salary in Shanghai Reply with quote

Oh my god. Is it true that 15000 rmb is the right salary for Shanghai? Shocked I've signed a contract accepting 6,900 basic + 120 rmb ph overtime. Am I getting ripped off? Evil or Very Mad
Where can i find a school that will pay me 15000 a month? Twisted Evil

cheers

luce x
wOZfromOZ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Luce Luce Luce

Mate

You're not being ripped off!
You're very lucky to be getting a good contract like yours first off!

The operative words here are 'first off' -
This is China mate! - like nowhere else on earth - basically........... CHINA RULES OK!!!

You'll learn that after being here for a period of time.
You can build up a client base and do you own thing if that's what you want.

You'll also learn to realise that this client base can be very volatile and unstable with respect to providing you with an income stream.

MY advice would be to accept a government sponsored posting in one of the big cities or closeby. These pay about 3,000Y - 4,000Y in the first year for 16 hours a week and if you want to do more and you can clearly demonstrate to your clientele that you are capable of emancipating them
from their poverty through your highly capable pedagogic methadology then you can easily ask 100Y/HOUR- 200Y/hour for your worldly wisdom, knowledge and teaching skill. If you cant, my advice is simple..........

........DONT ACT LIKE SOMEONE YOU'RE NOT! ...
(and give us guys/ladies here with families a 'bad name'.)

WOZfromOZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: