Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching English in Ukraine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Joshua

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Teaching English in Ukraine Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,
I'm thinking of starting an incredible adventure: ship my Harley Davidson over to Europe and ride all the way to Ukraine. I hear there is a huge demand for teachers in Ukraine and wonder if anyone has any insight for me. Do I need to get TEFL certified before I go, or is it easy to find work? What kind of money could I expect to make? Any information would be great. Meeting up with friends over there would be great too, so I'm also putting myself out there in that respect. You can never have too many friends when traveling. So if you want a visit from a cool Southern California dude on a big, black Harley, drop me a line. Thanks for reading.....

Joshua
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ukraine is, indeed, in dire need of English teachers. Your best bet would be to get to a major city (Donetsk, L'viv, Kyiv, Odessa) and track down the English schools in those particular cities. I would then approach those schools in person, talk to the directors, and see what they have open.
There is little chance you will make much more than $500-700/month (without private students), so if you need to shore up some bills back home, I'd do so before going to Ukraine.
Oh, and since native speakers are in demand, I don't think a certificate (CELTA, TEFL) would be necessary in most schools (perhaps in London School, British Council, International House). I would try them anyway, though.
If you have any more specific questions or would like some contact info., just drop me a PM. I lived there 2 years, and know one or two people.
Best of luck.
canucktechie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if indeed there is a huge need for teachers in Ukraine it certainly isn't apparant from looking at this or other job sites. There are far more postings from one school in Moscow than all of Ukraine. This doesn't surprise me, as there simply aren't many people in Ukraine who have the money for English lesssons.

I applied myself for some postions through IH last spring and was unsuccessful, although another teacher I knew did get a position.

Anyway it does sound fund biking around Ukraine. Do keep an eye on that Harley Twisted Evil
Ovid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you were inspired by this: http://www.kiddofspeed.com/

I wouldn't try it though! Wink It's fake.

Sounds interesting though. Good luck!
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well if indeed there is a huge need for teachers in Ukraine it certainly isn't apparant from looking at this or other job sites. There are far more postings from one school in Moscow than all of Ukraine. This doesn't surprise me, as there simply aren't many people in Ukraine who have the money for English lesssons.

All of this is true. That is why the best bet is to get to Ukraine, find the schools and interview for the position. Fact is, not many schools in Ukraine have a lot of money for advertising, either.
Private students can be found, however. There's a lot of "new" money in Ukraine, and many of these people are looking for native speakers to teach their children (partly for their children's future; partly so they can tell the other "new" money people that they have a Brit, American, etc giving their children private tutoring--it's true).
Good luck!
canucktechie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fact is, not many schools in Ukraine have a lot of money for advertising, either

A posting on this board costs $75 - less for multiple postings.

I think if a school cannot afford to advertise for teachers it begs the question of how it can afford to pay teachers.

Now I suppose if a school were paying $100/month or so the advertising costs would be seen as significant - but I do know that the IH schools pay about $400/month, which is less than in Russia for example but in line with the cost of living. Cowboy schools ? Well I guess you get what you pay for.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A posting on this board costs $75 - less for multiple postings.

I think if a school cannot afford to advertise for teachers it begs the question of how it can afford to pay teachers.

Now I suppose if a school were paying $100/month or so the advertising costs would be seen as significant - but I do know that the IH schools pay about $400/month, which is less than in Russia for example but in line with the cost of living. Cowboy schools ? Well I guess you get what you pay for.

I worked for an IH school in Ukraine, and their budget was extremely tight; they did pay me on time, however. If it isn't for budgetary reasons, then I don't know why they don't advertise here more often. While I was there, almost all of the teachers they hired were from word-of-mouth referals or simply ex-pats who lived in the city and were looking for extra work.
You're right about the salaries, though I don't know if the salary necessarily coincides with the quality of the school.
Cheers.
malcoml

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone want to take bets on how long a Harley Davidson will last parked anywhere in the Ukraine.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone want to take bets on how long a Harley Davidson will last parked anywhere in the Ukraine.

I've set the over/under number at 4 days.
PM me if you'd like to wager.
Neutral
bobs12

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take you up on that Smile

Just let me know where it's parked... Wink
malcoml

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd post a couple of funny stories on Harley Davidsons getting stolen.

A guy I heard of pulled up at a set of traffic lights and ute pulled up next to him. One guy pointed a shot gun at him and asked him to kindly hop of his bike, he did, then the shot gun guy jumped on the bike and took off into the sunset. Leaving the Harley rider standing at the traffic lights complete with leathers and motorcycle helmet.

A guy had a new Harley for about 6 hours and left it parked at his shop why he was working out the back. A truck pulled up and began to load the bike on the back. A young shop assistant walked out and said "what are you doing with the bosses new bike". The truck driver answered "Just taking it for it's new bike service". Off the truck driver went. The boss later came out and said "where the **** is my bike". Shop assistant answered "dont worry the service guys have just come and picked it up".
The bike was never seen again.

Anyone else with another Harley story.
bobs12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh, well, Ewan MacGregor and his sidekick managed to go through Ukraine and across the whole of Russia without anyone ever (successfully) stealing their bikes. They were on beemers though...
malcoml

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've heard some guys sleep with their motorcycle.

That reminds me of another story about a guy travelling through Central America. He wasn't so lucky. They shot him off his bike and then robbed him of his bike and belongings. Then they left him in the middle of nowhere with a bullet hole in him. Amazing he survived.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: