Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lantau Island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meagan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Lantau Island Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
Has anyone ever taught english on Lantau island, hong kong? I would love to get some information regarding availability of jobs, type of pay/contracts, living accommodation, and cost of living. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lantau is not a separate place from HK. So any info that is good for HK is good for Lantau.

Contracts vary greatly. As low as 16K a month for private schools up to 48K plus housing for the top earners in the NET program. If you are at a private school and on the low end of the pay scale, they often will provide housing or subsidize it.

Contracts are generally for one year. I know that international schools and the NET program have end of contract gratuities but i don't know about private schools.

HK can be expensive if you live like an expat and live to go out. If you can live like a local it can be cheap. Same for anywhere I guess.

Rent can cost anywhere from 5K to the sky the limit.
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott is right again.
If you get posted there under some NET programme, good for you!Otherwise, there are no offers except from an international school in Discovery Bay, accessible only by ferry from HK Island, or on foot from Mui Wo, or by kaidoo from Peng Chau. It is a huge luxury estate and rather, rather exclusive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: