Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trainning in Teaching English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Trainning in Teaching English Reply with quote

Ok I am really confused here so some help please.

I would like to teach English, to start with in Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Canada, and US, but I would also like to be able to go to Asia to teach. I have a bachlors degree, and have taught in the past. What should I be looking at for training? At this time I would like a short course and after I have done it for a while I want to take my masters.

Thanks in advance.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali,

Where in Asia? It's a BIG area you are considering! Plus, there are many types of schools/programs. High schools, elementary schools, universities, junior colleges, tech schools, businesses, cram schools, language schools, etc.

In Japan, you don't need any certification whatsoever to land a job teaching English. The only exceptions to that might be universities and some high schools.
Cali

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is just it, I am not really sure. I would think I would like to do the Language schools, tech schools, business school, uni and such. As for where I hope that I will be able to travel all over. There really isn't anyplace that I would not like to go, but my focus for now is more Europe, Americas and Australia/ New Zealand.
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a degree and some experience then adding a teaching certificate to this would probably give you the chance to teach almost anywhere you wanted. Obviously the certificate you take will depend on your location. Maybe you could started by narrowing down your target countries and then you would have a better idea of exactly what training you would need in order to work in that country.
Sherri

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali,
Where are you from and what passport do you hold? It is not easy to teach in some of the countries/areas you mentioned without the right passport (to qualify for a work visa) no matter what your qualifications are.
S
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali,

Sorry about the bold type in my earlier post.

With a bachelor's degree, you are not qualified to teach universities and many tech schools in Japan. Business (Corporate) opportunities are fairly limited to knowing the right people, or being lucky to work for a language school that farms out its teachers to companies.

Quote:
I have a bachlors degree, and have taught in the past.

I presume you mean you have taught English. Please tell us if this is not so. That said, you sound more than qualified right now to teach at any language school in Japan. Additional training may not be necessary, especially if you already know how to prepare lessons and present them to foreign students. Just what training were you thinking about? (And, remember, you get what you pay for.)

Quote:
As for where I hope that I will be able to travel all over.

Forgive me if I sound intrusive here, but in Japan the contracts are for a year. Your statement could be misconstrued into thinking you want to backpack your way into a job for a few months, then leave. I hope not, but I just can't tell. Yes, people do that in Japan, but it's not taken well, by the employers, the students, and some of us teachers.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming that you are a US citizen. You may have problems - lots of them - in getting work permits etc to work in Australia, New Zealand an European countries that are in the EU.
Does that help you narrow down your choice ? I am sorry to bring bad tidings, but do not shoot the messeneger. Sometimes we have to hear things that are not pleasing !
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: teaching in English speaking countries Reply with quote

You may find it difficult to find a teaching position in Australia with your level of qualification. You would at least need an extra teaching qualification. There are a lot more qualified people in Oz than there are ESL jobs,. And what ones there are around are hardely lucrative. You may also find gaining a work visa a problem too. I'm sorry to say that there's not much good news for prospects of teaching ESL in Australia. If you are really serious/desperate you could become a qualified hairdresser which attracts extra immigration points for people who want to settle in Australia. This was seriously suggested to a Japanese friend of mine who wanted to immigrate but couldn't scrape up enough other points otherwise. If you only want to stay for a short while I think that schools would look unfavourably upon you. Remember there are a lot of wannabe ESL teachers in Oz. If you are still not put off the Department of Immigration & Multicultural & Indigenous Affairs has an informative website - http://www.immi.gov.au/.
Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news but I think it's important to be realistic and properly informed of one's prospects. Wink
rogan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed so many times so I'll keep it brief:-

You may as well forget Western Europe as a place to work.

You really need to identify where you can easily go, rather than making sweeping statements like "I want to go all round the world"

It's not really focused, is it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: