Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Georgia: EFL and moonlighting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Georgia: EFL and moonlighting Reply with quote

Hi, all -

I've been keeping my eye on the events in Georgia, and am contemplating going there to teach. I would appreciate any advice that you could give me on a few points.

First of all, what is the situation with visas? Is it possible to go to Tbilisi on a tourist visa and after finding a job put the necessary documentation in place to become an employee? Or is it obligatory (or highly advisable) to arrange employment before arriving, and come with a business visa in hand?

Also, are there any teachers out there 'moonlight' on the Tbilisi English-language newspaper (The Messenger) as editors or in any other capacity? In the last few places I've worked as an EFL teacher, it seems that there are several opportunities to work on the local English papers for a change of pace. I'd potentially be interested in looking at this option, if it is at all realistic.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Anthony Schierman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa situation in Georgia has just been simplified and made much cheaper as well. I know that the consulate in Trabzon will now issue a one month tourist visa on the spot to most European and North American (well, I dont know about Mexico) passport holders for something like 20 US and visas are probably now issued on arrival at Tbilisi airport as well, although I dont know this for sure. As for changing a tourist visa to a business visa, if you are employed by any business (school, newspaper, etc) then this can be done quite easily.
XXX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and when you get there, try the red wine and brandy. Both are excellent!
Vesuve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: