Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info on al-Ruwais

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ntropy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Info on al-Ruwais Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience living/working in Ruwais? From what I can tell it's a very quiet backwater, which would suit me fine. What about an international school for kiddies? Would a family like it there?

Thanks in advance.
spicegirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Al Ruwais twice, but only to do examining work. It's a very small town, as you say, and miles from anywhere, or that's what it felt like when I was driving there. When I was there, I drove past a Choueifat School, which if you've been to the UAE, you'll know is an 'international' school. There are some expats working there, in the oil industry, I've heard. Hence the Choueifat school, I assume. There's also a hotel there, which has a swimming pool and a small pub/bar. They charge Dubai prices. When I stayed there, there was a power cut, followed in quick succession by a raging sandstorm, so I didn't get a very good impression. The road from Abu Dhabi to Al Ruwais is surrounded by a desolate desert, and is littered with wrecks of cars and trucks.

I guess it would depend on your family as to whether or not they'd like it. It depends how self-sufficient they are. If you/they've lived in the Gulf before, I doubt whether it would be like any other place they've ever lived. For example, Fujairah is a metropolis and hive of activity, compared to Al Ruwais. What kind of job is it that you're going for?
ntropy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Confirms what I've found on the Internet and adds a little substance to it. I thought it'd be cheaper than Dubai so that's good to know.

The job (which is theoretical at this point) is training nationals at one of the industrial plants there.

I worked in the Yemeni desert -- totally isolated, far from any towns/cities -- for a couple years and really loved it. Being away from everything is actually a plus in my books. Abu Dhabi doesn't seem that far away for quick shopping/recreation trips, either. Of course, my family wasn't with me and it was on a monthly rotation. Different for a family to be there with no job to keep them occupied and not much to do in town.

Decisons, decisions.
tefllifer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Does the company you might work for have community facilities like social club, health club, activities etc? If I have got my geography right, Ruwais is on the way to Qatar and must be near the Saudi border - I went there once (I wasn't really sure if it WAS Al-Ruwais even though the sign said it was... mainly because I wasn't sure what to expect and it was at a national holiday, so pretty quiet.). Turn left off the main road, through a barrier into a big complex - saw a bank, travel agent, health centre, supermarket, etc. - all modern buildings - and villas. There's an old beach hotel near it with usual facilities, and there's a new hotel too - just about finished I think - so that might have some life in it in the future. Probably there's an expat community if it's industrial - and if you like water sports, sailing etc., it could be OK. Depends how old your kids are and on your family's social needs. Abu Dhabi - 2.5 - 3 hrs. if I remember correctly.
ntropy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all of the above.

Sounds like the place. I've found a few web sites that have pics of the place.

The bairn is 8, and would be in heaven playing at the pool or bowling alley all day. Problem is his mom, who might be bored to death. Very shy to begin with and no work opportunity and only a few expat wifes to socialize withl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: