Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LooKINg for a JOB IN Kuwait
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebuilding_a_woman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: LooKINg for a JOB IN Kuwait Reply with quote

HeLLO

My name is Mona and I�m a TESOL certified teacher from Canada. I�m originally from Kuwait but have spent the last 10 year living and going to school in Ottawa, Canada. I�m very enthusiastic about the possibility of returning to Kuwait to teach English and would be available to start work immediately. I�m particularly interested in a position teaching English to children or Business English to adults. I am a professional and responsible person and I speak both Arabic and English fluently without an accent.

i would like anyone with information about a job/volunteer work in kuwait

Sincerely,

Mona Al-Anizi

Last edited by rebuilding_a_woman on Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:16 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but if this is serious, your written English is not of a level that serious schools would want to hire.

Your posting is full of spelling and grammatical errors... misuse of capital letters, and poor sentence structure.

After having taught years of writing to Arab students in the Gulf, including Kuwait, this message would have received an F in my class.

Any legitimate employer would toss into the trash any job inquiry with this level of errors. I would say that you need to do some major editing.

VS
spicegirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be a wind-up, surely. If not ..... oh dear! Embarassed
rebuilding_a_woman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have edited my thread i hope it makes sence now

veiledsentiments ----> thank you for your comment i have edited my thread
i

i hope someone can help me find a job placment in kuwait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms Mona,

Yes, your edit has improved your message and I do not doubt your sincerity or enthusiasm for teaching English. But, this is not a place that employers come to look for either employees or volunteers. In this field, people have to go out and find the jobs themselves.

First off, if you are Kuwaiti, I would suggest that you use contacts with family and friends back home to find a position. If you are not Kuwaiti, it might be more difficult for you to find a job there. I would try to find the names and address of various English based schools and write to them. Since you also speak Arabic, you may find it helpful in your search.

From your first message, it seems that your English may be more helpful for school children. Most teachers of English to business people need a high level of written English (because that is the major problem area for Arabic speakers learning English) and they usually prefer a native speaker. You would likely be fine teaching a conversation class for business people, but your written English seems a bit weak. Having been in business and taught business people through the years, they can be very demanding of their teacher's skills in English.

Good Luck,

VS
rebuilding_a_woman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr, veiledsentiments

I was born in kuwait and raised in canada therefore i am a Canadian citizen

I do have lots of experiences with childern and enjoy working with them.

My family members are busy and i like to depend on myself
i dont know where to go and apply i have done a search on google for american and british schools and emailed them.

so you have taught in kuwait intresting where in kuwait ??/ and how was it and did you like it .

also sure if you know any places i can apply to any help would be great

Thanxxx
Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms Mona,

It is Ms. VS actually, but ma'alish. Smile Yes, I did teach KU for a year back in the late 90's. If you have been reading my messages, you have likely noticed that Kuwait was my least favorite country to live in. Kuwait is just one large, rather unattractive city with no scenery, nor places to travel to. I much prefer the life in the Emirates or Oman. I hated the traffic and it has the worst bureaucracy to deal with - it took forever to do anything. I have to say that it is the one Middle Eastern country that I would never go back to. But, that is a personal opinion and I have friends who liked it there. The students were fortunately very serious and pleasant.

I really can't help you out with schools. I have always worked university level and not having children myself - and not being interested at all in teaching lower levels, I have paid no attention. I know that the students in the lower grades are a handful and you need to know what you are doing.

Your best chances are using family contacts to learn about the various schools - which are good to work for and which are bad. When it comes to teaching in the Middle East, wasta is important and useful.

VS
feenix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="veiledsentiments"]I'm sorry, but if this is serious, your written English is not of a level that serious schools would want to hire.

Your posting is full of spelling and grammatical errors... misuse of capital letters, and poor sentence structure.

After having taught years of writing to Arab students in the Gulf, including Kuwait, this message would have received an F in my class.

Dear VS (or perhaps not so veiled)

Since you are in the business of being so critical of others' writing, can I ask you how "this message" taught years of writing to Arab students?

Also, serious schools don't hire levels of written English. They hire people.

I'll give you a C for effort though Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feenix

Competent schools normally attempt to hire competent teachers. You are, of course, free to have your opinions too. (on edit, I decided to point out that it was obvious that you did not read her original message before she edited - perhaps if you had, you would not have been so overeager to attempt quasi-humerous nitpicking.)

As I am free to still give your reading skills an F.

VS

Last edited by veiledsentiments on Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Job in Kuwait. Reply with quote

Being a certified teacher in Canada you should have no problem finding a job in a school in Kuwait. When you come to Kuwait you could visit schools and I'm sure you will find work. You do not need a visa to come to Kuwait you can pick up a three month visa at the airport.
All the best.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fred,

It is not clear from her post whether she is a certified teacher or whether she merely has a TEFL cert. That would make a crucial difference in her job possibilities I would think. She didn't mention a degree in education which most of the better schools would require.

I'm not sure if I would recommend that a young woman just jump on a plane and see who would hire her with just the TEFL cert. Unless, of course, she would be contacting any family or friends there as a backup.

Or am I being over conservative? Some of these schools are very dodgy.

VS
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Job in Kuwait Reply with quote

VS - it is true what you are saying about regular school teachers. If the lady only has a Cert. TEFL. then that will not be enough for the Min. of Ed., however, she should be able to get a job in a school as a teacher's aide, or teach English at one of the language schools. Depends on contacts and previous nationality, or lack of it. If you get my drift.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessiree... that is the truth... Smile

VS
rebuilding_a_woman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my high school diploma and some college in Early CHildhood

I Also have a TESol certificate, I am noe sure i might not get a job in kuwait most schools demand degrees Sad

I am a mature ladie Ilove childern and mostly love to teach.

thanks to those who replyed

Very Happy
ps2_machine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lady asked for help, why don't you give it. Surely she would be a great teacher as she is bilingual, and therefore understands the experience of learning another language.

Does every teacher know perfect grammar and punctuation before teaching English his/her first time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: