Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Qatar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheikhspeare

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: University of Qatar Reply with quote

Hello

"Dave" has posted an ad for the University of Qatar at http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=9301

Would someone care to elaborate on the package? What are the accommodation, working conditions, salary expectations like?

Any info would be really appreciated.

Best
William
Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have certainly raised their salaries nicely. I haven't been there myself, but word around is that it is one of the best jobs in Qatar. Life there is quiet and many find it dull. If I were looking these days, I would apply there and take a job if offered. (there are not many places that I can say that about actually.)

If you do a search, there was a posting on here somewhere from someone who talked more specifics. Perhaps that person is lurking around and will post us an update. Smile

VS
livinginQatar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Successful candidates will enjoy the modernity and heritage of Qatar, and receive the following benefits:
* A monthly tax-free salary in Qatar (QR 10,350 ($2,835)- QR. 12,000 ($3,288))
* Furnished accommodation (utilities are at employeeيs expense)
* Annual air-tickets for himself/herself, spouse and three children (less than 18 years old)
* End of service gratuity.
* Free medical care in government hospitals.
* Paid annual leave of about 60 days.
* Free education for 3 children in primary to high schools at English medium schools in Qatar.

Course load would be 18-21 hours (over 21 is compensated overload)

Accommodation depends on what level you are hired at and if family members are with you: ie: apt or villa, # of bedrooms, etc.

Working conditions are acceptable, nobody is going to hide you away in a cave, blow you up or slap a burka on you.

It is laid back (maybe dull for wild singles) but is a nice place to come if you have a family.
juststeven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 3000 plus or minus in Qatar? This is too hard to believe. That's like the UAE and Saudi, but with less hours in class. Sounds like the royal family is serious about the education of their youth.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hours are fairly standard for the region. Qatar's salaries have always been on a par with Saudi salaries. Emirati salaries are good so they can choose whom they attract.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite accurate as the similarity of salaries. Qatar University talked to me back in the very late 90's and their salaries were on a par with Oman at the time, not Saudi or UAE. With an MA and years of experience, it was around US$2000. I told them that I wouldn't even both to interview for that amount. I read earlier this year here that QU was raising their salaries to be more competitive.

Hours are about the norm these days. There are a very few places that just have 15, but not many.

VS
canukteacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ad on Dave's says to go to their website and download an application form. Maybe I am blind, stupid, or both, but I do not see an application form to download. I have clicked on every button on the site. Has anyone had any luck downloading this application?

Thanks in advance.

CT
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any trouble finding a page that says that it links to the application form. It took just a couple of clicks...

http://www.qu.edu.qa/asrcindex.htm

It came up on Firefox as an optional Word document, though I didn't open it up. But, at least there is a mailing address on the job advert.

VS
canukteacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. For some strange would not work for me, but this link works.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Nancie
crocus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Response to Applications? Reply with quote

Has anybody who applied for here this year heard back from them? I see they're advertising on Dave's again - this is the ?third time so far, I think. Lack of applications? Trawling more widely? Have people heard negatives that are affecting the applications?

If anyone has any feedback I'd be interested to know; I'm considering applying this time round.

Thanks,
Crocus
Cpt_Midnight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: University of Qatar Reply with quote

It is Saturday night stateside, and it is late. I have just recieved a notice that I have been selected for an interview at Qatar U. I have not been in the Gulf for five years. The package that they are offering sounds almost too good to be true. Can anyone tell me what the real living conditions are like for lecturers, and, more importantly, what kind of schools will my children have a chance to attend. Veiled, as always, I appreciate your keen insights.

Cpt M
blues clues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,Crokcus

In fact I asked a number of people about them and they do have a horrible reputation. I also applied months ago, heard nothing, then kept coming up their ads again, and again here. I've spoken to several people who've had the same experiences.
I do know someone who works there...said TOTALLY DISORGANIZED, STUDENTS ARE TERRIBLE, ETC, ETC..SAME OLD STORY.

good luck with it though
crocus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpt Midnight - good luck with your interview. Do let us all know how it goes.

Blues Clues - thanks for that information. Are you continuing with your application or are you withdrawing? Is there any chance your friend at Qatar Uni might come on the board and let us know in more detail what s/he feels is not so positive about the place? It's always useful to build up an idea of what potential jobs might be like; saves a lot of angst later.

All the best,
Crocus
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blues clues wrote:
Yes,Crokcus

I do know someone who works there...said TOTALLY DISORGANIZED, STUDENTS ARE TERRIBLE, ETC, ETC..SAME OLD STORY.
Me too. I know someone who works there and she said the same thing. She loves her job though Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Capt M.

DMB has the Qatar experience here. Cool Perhaps he knows something about the international schools there.

I suspect that teaching there is much like the other Gulf universities - an often disorganized management and mostly nice students (though perhaps a bit spoiled and lazy, but if you have experience in the gulf, it shouldn't be a big problem). I have known people who taught there in the past and liked it well enough - and that was when the pay was significantly less.

Qatar is kinda boring... but pleasant enough if you are married. I'd go for it unless I got a better offer!!

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: