Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pay considerations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liehtzu

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Pay considerations Reply with quote

Hello folks!

What is considered decent pay in Indonesia? I've heard there seems to be some kind of financial crisis currently.... I've been offered a job for 4 million (20 hours a week) in a city of 800,000 on Sumatra. Money has never been the primary consideration for me and I'm not a big spender, but is this enough to get by? Considering occasional cheap meals out, some visits to the pubs, travel here and there....? If anyone in the know could let me know I'd be much obliged.

Cheers,
Kris
reality

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Pay Conditions Reply with quote

Indonesia, is a large Country. Pay conditions generally differ from region to region.

Living Costs also differ greatly from region to region. For example Bali is the most expensive area, Java the cheapest. Outside Java, life is more expensive, and often more basic.

However, I don�t believe 4 Million is enough to live anywhere in Indonesia.
This was the old rate of pay, before the 1998 Financial Crisis. Since then,
living costs have risen over 120% in many places. And the majority of Indonesians are now very poor, outside the Cities.

If you working/Backpacking, you are better off in the smaller Cities. As I couldn�t imagine any "Travellers." Enjoying themselves in the modern Cities of Jakarta, Medan or Bandung or the dollarized Island of Bali.
guru

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 million rupiah is enough.

I had a job in a language school in bogor in 1998, after the krismon and could survive. my income was 2.7 million rupiah without any benefits. in 2000 it rose to 4 million rupiah. it was enough to travel by bus and live in a rented house and have a maid. it wasn't enough to get married or fly or anything. i bleieve you can survive on 4 million.
Link H

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Maybe Reply with quote

I lived in Jakarta from 1998 up through early 2002. The cost of living is probably cheaper in that town in Sumatra.

you could probably live on 4 million a month. You can't save much money, of course. You might save money if you could find a truly trustworthy maid to buy your food in the outdoor market if you could trust her not to scam money you sent her out with. In the markets, they charge you more if you are a foreignor. You have to learn the art of bargaining from some Indonesians there. The price mark-up is one reason expats need to make more money to live than locals do-- that and the fact that they want to be able to save for place tickets and live at a higher standard of living.
ls650

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 million is enough to live, but not enough to have a lot of fun. Cool

You'll lose say 10% in taxes, plus maybe another 15% for housing. That leaves you 3 milllion a month to eat, travel and play with. If you want to eat out a lot, have a beer or two at the end of a long day, etc. expect ot pay something like another mill or more on food.

That leaves you 2 mill a month. If you stay home and don't party or travel, you can live modestly. If you want to get out of town on the weekend and have some fun, 2 mill will not go far.
Link H

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: pay and taxes Reply with quote

Check with your prospective employer. My previous employer quoted me a figure for my salary-- and then that was my TAKE HOME. They paid taxes on top of the figure they quoted. They did not cut out 10%.
everybody_loves_chandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: 4 million Reply with quote

Sure. 4 million is enough in Sumatra Selatan. If its an EF franchise, the extras such as lunch/dinner allowance, accommodation and health care make up for the rather low wage. Its not inconceivable to save 2 million a month. But at the end of the day 2 million a month is not much when its converted back to your own local currency. 2 years of saving here is the equivalent of 1 year of saving in South Korea.

DoC
guruengerish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Pay in Sumatra Reply with quote

Get the school to give you a detailed break-down of your salary. Figures qoted are normally after tax. It could well include an allowance for the teachers' house - or you may be offered more if you want to rent a small place of your own.

Somewhere on this site are current salaries of schools. EF Yogya is paying around Rp3.3 million after tax, and pay absolutely nothing extra. EF Makassar are offering Rp4.3million - accom is included or an allowance for your own place.

Yes, Rp4million would be enough, but only just in my opinion.

Also, check the medical insurance carefully. You should get an allowance for doctors' bills and hospital cover can range from a public ward with no meals upwards. Don't laugh! I know plenty of teachers who've spent a week or so in such places. My last school covered us for medivac to Singapore, but that was not EF.
Chester

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: 4 million a month Reply with quote

enough for what?

you guys who say its enought to live on if......... you get the bus and eat cheap.
hey. (as Chris Farley would say) why not "live in a van, down by the river and eat government cheese"

you guys must be stupid to accept that.

better to get social security in a western country than teach in Indonesia for that kind of pay.
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 million a month Reply with quote

Chester wrote:
better to get social security in a western country than teach in Indonesia for that kind of pay.

If someone is in TEFL strictly for the money, he has chosen his job unwisely.
Chester

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: low pay Reply with quote

dude. as usual you missed my point.
you are a fool to work for a low salary in any profession, if there are better opportunities in the same profession , or if in another. you are a fool to accept your situation without question. thatsa problem in jakarta. too many "nice" teachers who will work for shyte pay. fools i say.
guruengerish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: pay considerations Reply with quote

I can't say that all the contributions to this page are positive or helpful. Someone always has to ridicule those who want to teach for the experience or the lifestyle.

As it happens, I DO get full social security, plus rent assistance plus free medical and hospital and very cheap pharmaceuticals, as long as I'm in Australia. However, it is a durn sight more interesting working in Asia with students who want to be taught, who want to learn English and live in an interesting but sometimes crazy environment. The other side of the coin is working with students who have to go to school and have to learn English and think they're doing you a big favour by completing their homework.

I like to think that if the kids learn English and get a good education, they might even start to take care of their own country and the environment. That in itself is worth doing.

Some folk want to breathe the Jakarta air and get a good salary, whereas others are happy to be out of town, get a mediocre salary, meet the people, and teach interested kids. Cool
sidjameson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do things always resort to black and white on this issue? The thing is that there is a middle way between looking purely for the money and not being a fool to yourself. Expecting 12m plus as others have stated and accepting 4m as has been advocated here. Both extremes are missing the point as far as I'm concerned. Indonesia is a great experience and can definitly not be equated to home. Working unfairly for another's benefit is degrading no matter what the occupation. Unless this school is charging very low fees you are being taken for a fool and why would anybody want to do that?
On the other hand if it is just a tiny back water school that teaches the kids of the local working class and you can afford the time, why not, even if it does pay lower than social security back home. I know which I would rather do for a year. Don't get stuck there forever mind.
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those 'fools' that works for 'shyte' money - 4.5M in Padang. Happy to admit it. However, I have a better quality of life here than I left behind in the UK and I get to live somewhere you wouldn't spend every free day trying to escape from. Yes, I've met guys on 10M in Jakarta who spend 6M of that just getting the hell out. Guess I'll just go on being a fool...

As someone has already said: if you are in this game to make money then something has gone badly wrong with your planning - especially in this country.
Mr_Geoff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Salary & Contracts Reply with quote

When deciding about pay, one must keep in mind the ever increasing cost of living and that expatriates tend to pay more then locals for most things.

I have been in here for 4 years now and have spoken to many expatriates who have worked in this country and this is what you should be looking for:

English teachers:
*Outside Jakarta, no less the 7million a month, plus all expences paid (minus telephone) accomodation, end of contract bonus (13th salary) & plain ticket home, 28 days leave per year.

*Jakarta, dont settle for less then 10million, plus all expences paid (minus telephone) accomodation, end of contract bonus (13th salary) & plain ticket home, 28 days leave per year.

Business Lecturers / International Schools:
* Going rates are 15 to 20 million per month nationally, plus all expences paid (minus telephone) accomodation, end of contract bonus (13th salary) & plain ticket home, 28 days leave per year. The rate is based on your degree level, experience and location. BUT do not settle for less then 15 million.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: