Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have several job offers in Moscow need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazachka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Have several job offers in Moscow need advice Reply with quote

Very Happy
I'm relocating to Moscow in June at the end of this school year. This summer, I worked for a British outfit-ETI teaching English to corporate clients and giving private lessons in the main office. I really enjoyed working for them and the people I worked with and the students were very nice. I'm probably going to continue with them next summer BUT I also have been offered other opportunities. Has anyone out there worked for Tom's House? I saw a positive comment on the Slavic American School too. Has anyone worked there? I thought they had a nice campus Razz This is another possibility,but I'd have to take on additional lessons because as I recall the school only pays 1500$/mo. Another great PT evening opportunity is at the Samantha School of Foreign Languages. Has anyone taught there? Anything I should know? Any feedback would really help in making my decision. I'll be in Moscow again 20 Dec and need to decide Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
steven_gerrard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the school only pays $1500 per month? Well exactly houw much do you think other Language Schools are going to pay in Moscow, especially somewhere like Samantha school?

You won't earn more than that on a contract anywhere except the British Council (and you won't get a job there) so if I were you I'd take the $1500 -you'll be very satisfied with that once you learn how much other schools here pay. Mind you, it is such good pay that I think it is probably a mistake....
donfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="steven_gerrardMind you, it is such good pay that I think it is probably a mistake....[/quote]

I think you will have to find your own place and pay your own rent on this salary.
kazachka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah- as far as housing goes, some (but not all)of the companies offer stipends. One of the schools offered one as well. I've been renting a 1 roomer from friends at Rechnoi Vokzal. Thankfully, the rent isn't riduculous as is the case in many parts of Moscow these days. Prices have soared. Just 2 yrs ago I was paying just 100$/mo for a 1 roomer at Fili. As for the pay, it REALLY varies I've been offered from 500-to the 2000 range. Most also offer visa support and work permits.I'm going to meet with some of them in 3 weeks to hash out all the details. Some offer better benefits than others too. So it's really a tough call.I've never had choices before. When I got out of college in 96, the best offer was Alaska! I've been teaching Russian and ESL here for 9 years now. I spend the other 4 months in Moscow. Alasks is beautiful, but the toughest place I've ever lived(yep tougher than Moscow). I really liked the company I worked for last summer. My students were really motivated and polite. The people at the office were friendly and helpful. I'm leaning toward going back to work for them yet I have 6 other offers to consider. I do know that I loved the job I had and that teaching was fun despite the crazy commutes on some days. I have lived in Moscow and other parts of Russia for nearly 15 yrs off and on. I started coming to Moscow in 98 and loved it. I'd have moved long ago, but decided to ride out the Alaska thing to pay for grad school and get vested for retirement(8 yrs for vesting).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XXX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are refering to The Slavic American School "Marina"?
kazachka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I heard good things about the school Laughing
XXX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marina is a "real" school. The diplomas that those kids get have gotten them into some of the finest schools in the US. If you go there, expect to TEACH. They might want to be certified if you work with the upper level students. Enjoy, if you are selected. I had a blast.
kazachka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's good to hear. The director also mentioned coaching possibilities which I'd be game for. I am a semi -professional runner when I'm not teaching. There are tons of runs and races in Moscow year- round that may be fun to get the kids out at. As for certification, I'm teacher certified in Wisconsin and Alaska. I have to be sure to take a summer class or 2 once in a while to keep those suckers from lapsing too. Otherwise, they will be a pain in the tail to renew. I will be subject to all the Praxis and other nuisance standardized tests brought on by Bush's NCLB Act. I managed to save myself from the Praxis II by holding an advanced degree in Russian. As of now though there is no Praxis in ESL and I'm not sure if they have dreamt one up in Russian language yet. How long were you at the school?
XXX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year-- the Moscow winter is something you only want to do once. But I truely fell in love with the people and the place.
kazachka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in regards to the winter it really could be worse. I did 7 years in Fairbanks, Alaska. (followed by 2 in Anchorage)So, when I left -50 and 3hours of daylight in December and headed off to Moscow each Dec/Jan,it really was almost subtropical Wink Well.....sort of..... But thanks for the info on the school. I'll meet w/ Tatiana Yurovskaya again in a couple of weeks.
kazachka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the people and the place. That's precisely why I keep going back. Mr. Green I have many of my closest friends in the world in Moscow. Some, I've known since high school while I have lost track of just about everyone in the States I graduated HS with.
XXX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, although it was not as long, the winter in Poland was worse. PM me for a private message. It is a very good school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: