Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

education of dependents - Questions about Mexico City

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: education of dependents - Questions about Mexico City Reply with quote

I am graduating next month with my M.A. in TESOL and my teaching strengths are composition and CALL. While I had assumed that teaching overseas was not possible for me, I recently found an American school that not only has reasonable tuition but reasonable tuition with special ed (my son is very mildly autistic - think Aspergers but not quite). The school is in Mexico City. I interviewed last with with one of the ITESM schools at the TESOL conference and while I have my fingers crossed, I dont want to hold my breath.

I would like some advice about looking for university work and or good work at a colegio. What is the expected salary ranges for these jobs? I am also planning to go down to DF after graduation to check things out for myself. Any advice on how to use that time most effectively is greatly appreciated. I not only need to look for work (assuming the interview does not result in a job) but I need to get a feel for transportation, and other living costs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bird

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your Masters in TESOL and specialties in CALL and composition, I am sure you can get a job at a university here in Mexico City or anywhere in the country for that matter. However, you will probably not be as a full timer and put on a regular payroll (those with doctorate degrees get those positions) but rather as an adjunct, paid by the hour. Where I teach, those with a Masters make 225/hr (pesos) and the maximum # hours per week one can teach is 15 (few get that many hours). One can always supplement income with private classes but that usually involves unpleasant trudging around this monstrous city!

As for schools with special ed programs for your son, I don't know of any off hand but I do know that any decent private school here is pricey. My children's elementary school is 2500.00/mo. (plus books, yearly registration, uniforms etc.) and many others are more dear. Secondary tuition is more expensive; high school even more.

Don't mean to discourage you, just want you to know some facts before you come. I do believe Mexico is a wonderful place to live dispite its "flaws" and for kids, its a great place to grow up.
Good Luck!
Bird
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: