Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Civilian Shot in Jubail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pilot in Command

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: American Civilian Shot in Jubail Reply with quote

What's the scoop on this inside Saudi Arabia?

Last edited by Pilot in Command on Fri May 02, 2003 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Who knows? Not us. Reply with quote

Dear Pilot in Command,
I'll be very surprised if anyone can give you " the scoop " on this incident, beyond what's in the papers ( try www.arabnews.com ). The government here controls the media, so it's highly doubtful we'll ever know such details as why he was shot. They might try to pass it off as yet another episode in the infamous " liquor wars ", for the powers-that-be don't want to admit that there could ever be ( gasp ) anti-western terrorism here in the Peaceable Kingdom.
Regards,
John
Pilot in Command

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responding, John.

The article stated that he was shot 3 times in the abdomen by someone wearing a Saudi Naval uniform.

This really hits home, so to speak, since I worked in Jubail for two years.

The timing is remarkable... this happened the day after the latest warden message warning of possible impending terrorist action against US interests in Saudi Arabia (message #19).

For once (very unfortunately) the embassy was right. I might have to start taking them a bit more seriously.

I'm thinking about coming back, but this really gives me a moment of pause.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: civilian shot Reply with quote

Here in the K of SA we only know what appears in the local press. Since that is now available on the web, we have no special advantage over someone in San Diego or Southampton. There are rumours of course but no sane person pays attention to them.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Stopped clocks Reply with quote

Dear Pilot in Command,
My personal opinion of the embasssy remains unchanged. If you issue enough warnings, sooner or later one of them is bound to closely precede an actual incident. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Regarding your coming back, the decision is, of course, entirely yours. But personally I'm a lot more worried about getting killed by the traffic here than by any terrorist attack.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: danger Reply with quote

I agree with John that a traffic accident is a greater likelihood than being blown away by some Islamist. I restrict my movements but that is because the traffic here FRIGHTENS me. Driving here has to be experienced. Like the rest of the Saudi expereince it has to be lived. A description is not enough !

As for advance warnings of attacks,were we given advance notice of the presious attacks here, in Nairobi or Mombasa ? Experience in British cities during the 30-year war with the IRA has shown that there is not much you can do when faced with determined terrorists.
Pilot in Command

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All excellent points, guys.

I have a lot of experience driving there, and I can certainly relate to your comments about that. I've had my share of close calls. There were times when I wished I had a camcorder to record some of my encounters so I could share them with the folks back home. You just can't adequately describe the Saudi Arabian driving experience to people who've never experienced it for themselves.

I've decided that, if I go back, it'll be in a situation where I don't HAVE to drive anywhere, i.e. the company provides transportation to/from work and the compound has all I need to live. Not that I'd refrain from going into town; I'd just go with someone else who wants to deal with Saudi drivers!

Stay safe!
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Driving in the KSA Reply with quote

Are they more dangerous behind the wheel than Spanish drivers? Now that is scary!
Pilot in Command

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on Spanish drivers (though I've heard stories). I CAN say that there's a good reason why you have to have your blood type on your Saudi driver's license! They also request that you give blood when you apply for the license!

There's a phenomenon in Saudi Arabia called "cars passing cars passing cars." Picture that on a two-lane road, i.e. one lane in each direction! I've seen it!
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: They're driving me crazy Reply with quote

Dear Pilot-inCommand,
It's interesting what you can find on the Net. Here's an excerpt from a web page put up by a menber of the USA military who was on the east coast of Saudi Arabia in 1991:

" Terrorism is always on our minds, but our biggest fear comes whenever we have to drive anywhere. There is no "weapon of mass destruction" that Sadam could have used against the Saudis that could have killed as many people as automobiles kill each day. I honestly believe that the Islamic Clerics should add a fifth tenet to their religion: "Thou shalt stay out of automobiles!" The Saudis and their guest workers are simply the world's craziest drivers. When they're not driving at supersonic speeds, they're cutting sideways across three lanes of traffic to get off at an exit. The average Arab driver cannot stand to be behind anyone; he (she's are not allowed to drive) will jump curbs, cross medians, do anything possible to get ahead of the vehicle in front of him. Arab driving skill is clearly reflected in their highway fatality rates. Fatal accidents occurred almost every day we were here, and the highways are lined with wrecked vehicles which are mangled beyond recognition. "

That says it well, I think. The site address, in case you're interested is:

http://home.att.net/~ka2e/gulf/gwchap4.html

Regards,
John
Pushok

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that from a population of 20 million in Saudi there are 20,000 road deaths per year. That's half the number of the whole of Europe. Scary stuff and I admit that when thinking about returning to Saudi the traffic is more frightening than the 'terrorism'.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: driving in the k of sa Reply with quote

I have been coming here on and off since 1970. Nowadays my priority when looking for a job is to find one where I can minimise the amount of time I spend in a motor vehicle. You can find jobs where you will not have to drive much - or at all, like me. I can walk to work and everything I need is withoin walking distance. If I have to go downtown I take a taxi.

Alas some people are so fixated on the internal combustion engine that they cannot imagine life without their own car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: