Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to teach for a few months this summer in Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Coop

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Looking to teach for a few months this summer in Europe Reply with quote

My wife and I are Yanks currently living in London. I have a valid UK work permit, however, it is tied to my wife's work permit and since she is about to quit her horridly boring job at a huge multinational bank it is "technically" about to expire (however, the stamp in my passport says it is good until 2006). We plan on leaving London around the end of June 2003 and thought it might be fun to try teaching English for a short 2-3 month stint before returning to the USA. We may also want to return in a year or so and sign up for a full year of teaching somewhere.

We both have college degrees, her's is in English/Creative Writting, and mine is in Geography (it helps me to find the unemployment office on a map). We also just took a quicky weekend / online TEFL course through i to i (http://www.teflcourses.com/index.htm ) so we are certified to at least an intial level. I know, I know, it isn't the Cambridge certified one but it should be enough to get us started.

Questions I have for the group is where is the best place for us to find work in Europe for about 2-3 months starting in end of June or beginning of July? I also have experience in business as a technical salesman for AT&T that used to sell to Fortune 500 companies, so I am hoping that may carry some weight in getting a Business English gig.

We are fairly open to teaching in a lot of countries either in Western or Eastern Europe, although after London I am thinking sunny Greece, Italy, Croatia or even Turkey would be great. Since we are newbies finding a job over the Internet may be difficult, especially in an EU country,. However, I am led to believe that if I go down to Italy or Germany and start knocking on doors I may be able to find something in person.

So what do you think? Is a 2-3 month gig doable and where?

Hope to hear from you all and thanks.

Smile
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: it's 'doable' Reply with quote

Dear Dave:

You both have degrees; that's good. You also have valid EU working permits, at least for a while; that's also good.

The bad news is this: Summer jobs in EFL are a bit harder to come by, for a couple of reasons: First, business-in-general at the private language schools tends to be MUCH slower during the hot summer months, when many people go on holiday. On top of that 'business reality', most schools prefer to hire people for longer terms; usually 9 months is the minimum.

That said, I'd still say you have a fairly decent chance of finding some part-time work by just 'showing up and knocking on some doors' as you put it. If you bring along some cash, a couple of slick resumes' and a positive attitude, you might get lucky.

Out of the countries you mentioned in your post, I'd have to vote for Turkey as having the strongest EFL market, and Istanbul in particular would be my personal choice. It is a truly stunning city, with much to see and do, great food and hospitable, friendly people.

In my experience, Turks also tend to be pretty relaxed about visas and shorter-term contracts. Just my 2 cents for ya ...

Good luck Exclamation
kENt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: