Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funkyj

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Is it possible? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I read through a bunch of the postings on the Czech Republic forums, but I didn't see any infomation regarding a particular situation.

I am concerned that while teaching over there, I will not be able to pay my current bills that are here, in the states. I know some people posted that after living expenses they were able to have extra money for travel and such, but I am concerned about having enough money for my student loans and credit card bills.

I only plan on teaching abroad for a short period of time, such as a year. The problem is, I have a bunch of bills that won't go away any time soon.

Is this possible? I would need at least $200-300 US per month for these bills. Thanks for your responses.

Take care Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be difficult to earn enough in the Czech Republic to live fairly well plus pay back your bills.
Further, you should not move there unless you have enough savings to support yourself for a couple of months. You may find work immediately after a course, or when you arrive, or you may need to search for a week or two. Also, most landlords will want a months' rent in advance and a month's rent for security deposit. You should also always have enough money to buy a plane ticket home and/or to cover yourself in case of any unexpected medical expense. Be sure you have a financial cushion - in my opinion, for the CZ 2,500 US is adequate.
Have you considered Asia? It's supposed to be generally easier to make enough money for debts back home there.
funkyj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spiral78.

Is your 2500 USD reccomendation for a year? That seems pretty easy to obtain. I thought I would need more like 5000.

I have not yet considered Asia partly because I never been there and partly because it is really far from home in case of a family emergency, etc.

Thanks again for the information.
Take care
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 2,500 is enough, but remember, it has to be IN RESERVE!! Not money you will need for regular expenses..............I don't mean that you can live on 2,500 for a year.

I know what you mean about Asia, but if you really need to pay back debts at home during your year abroad, remember that 300 USD is going to be something approaching half of your Czech salary.......and that you will need a similar amount to pay for housing.

The CZ is a fantastic place to live and work, but it may not be the best in everyone's case.....
Good luck!
funkyj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Spiral 78.

I have some time to figure it out. Last year at this time I said I would be teaching abroad a year from then. I am worried about putting it off too long because I hear that once the Czech Rep. offically switches to EU status, it will be increasingly difficult for Americans to find work. I am looking at Poland as well because I see that they have a shortage,yet they pay even less.

I currently am employed as a teaching assistant on the high school level and am certified to teach English. I am also in the Middle of a Masters program in Literacy. So, yeah, I have alot going on and some qualifications to teach.

What I desire most is to teach and to teach abroad. When I set a goal, I won't stop until I achieve it.

I guess working another job will help me on this mission.

Thanks again, be well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: