Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IICA No Certificate Summary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda, thanks for the heads up. I will send my application in May and if I do not hear back from them by the October deadline for applications I will start to email them and if that does not work I will call them.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fragganika, I am going to send in my application. I have filled out the application but I do not know whether Minas Gerais has a zipcode. They failed to mention the zip code on the application booklet.
fragganika

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there,

That's weird. Well, here's what I have as the CEP (i.e. Zip) : It's 38300-106

Good luck!!
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fragganika, did you get into an M.A. program? I can't wait to finish mine.
fragganika

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny you should ask! I was just looking at Cultural Studies MA's and one of them is in Rio at the Federal U. As is, I'm procrastinating and haven't taken my GRE's yet.
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that program in English or Portuguese? I might eventually do an M.A. in Europe.
fragganika

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's in Port, though you'll prolly find the teachers speak tons of English. Look at this http://www.ifcs.ufrj.br/~ppgsa/programa_linhasdepesquisa_english.html

but of course, all the administrative info is in Port.
phrodo41

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting emails from IICA about their ESOL program, and am currently researching the opportunity. From what I've seen on this board, and another reliable source, the program looks good. There are a few things that I am unclear on, however.

First, the difference between coming as a Guest Teacher and as a Trainee. What are the differences in the workload, training, expectations from the employer, etc? I have some experience teaching English overseas, and have gone through an online certification program; however, I have lots more to learn before I am confident being a full-blown teacher. What would any of you recommend for someone in my situation?

Also, what kind of work would the certificate qualify me for? I imagine I'd want to go back to the states eventually to teach some more and possibly work towards a Masters. With the experience, the certificate, and some networking, would I be able to get a full-time job that offers a living wage and benefits? Also, is it possible to apply this to a Masters degree in ESOL if I choose to take that route?

One more thing - how effective have you found IICA to be when you need to resolve problems with the host school? I'd like to know that in the unlikely event I am thrown into a bad situation, the appropriate steps would be taken to make things better. Is it possible to change locations once you've signed on with a particular school, or is it more 'sink or swim?' I know that ideally I shouldn't have to worry about this, but I feel that you can never be too careful.

I am excited about the prospect of coming to Brazil; I have family roots there and have always been fascinated with the culture. I don't think I'll have too much trouble learning Portuguese, as I am kind of a language nut. I have stayed with a host family before (in Ukraine), and it was a wonderful experience. My main concern is what kind of position this will put me in when I return to the States. I've been very close to teaching in Poland, Korea, and returning to Ukraine, but I have tried to be very careful to make sure that I get into the best possible situation before making any decisions.

I'm seeing that alot of the advice in this thread is a few years old, so I'd be interested to hear from someone who is currently invovled with this program.
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First, the difference between coming as a Guest Teacher and as a Trainee. What are the differences in the workload, training, expectations from the employer, etc? I have some experience teaching English overseas, and have gone through an online certification program; however, I have lots more to learn before I am confident being a full-blown teacher. What would any of you recommend for someone in my situation?

First I will preface this by saying that I ended up going to Korea instead of doing the ICAA program. From what people on this board say it is difficult to get a work permit in Brazil so I believe the ICAA program found a loop hole to call this a cultural exchange in order to get people visas to teach in Brazil.
Manaus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: IICA Reply with quote

I worked for IICA in '04-'05 and though I had my fair share of problems, in the long run they were minimum.
I would recommend the program and am glad that I took that opportunity!
chaiplz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP Very Happy

This thread seems to need revival!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: