Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accomodation in Santiago
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Alan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Accomodation in Santiago Reply with quote

Hi

I�m just finishing off a four year teaching stint in Madrid, Spain and I am heading down to Santiago on 24 February. I was there in September for nearly a month visiting my Chilean girlfriend and I have given up my job here in Spain to go there and be with her.

I�m hoping to find work in Santiago teaching English and was wondering if anyone had some advice on accomodation as I won�t be living with my girlfriend until we get married.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: try this Reply with quote

Here is someone to contact...they have a number of options

ContactChile Ltda.

Intercultural Management
NEW ADDRESS:
Huel�n 219 piso 2, Providencia, Santiago de Chile
Phone/Fax (0056-2) 264 17 19
Cell. (0056) 9 323 69 96
http://www.contactchile.cl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Don Alan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice although I had already looked Contact Chile and reckon they are a bit expensive compared with doing it yourself.
matttheboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used contact chile. In the the sense that i used them to find a place to live through them, told them i wasn't interested and then went back to the owner of the house, offered him 15% of what i'd pay contact chile and moved in....morally not so hot but i didn't fancy the $100+ fee...

Some of the prices they quote are high but there are some decent ones there. The house i lived in was sold and no longer exists as a house for foreigners. Also, it can be good to use contact chile as there is generally no minimum stay and you can look around for somewhere else and not have to stay in a grotty hotel whilst doing so.

Apartments from the 'paper can be pricey and you'll have to find furniture etc a lot of the time as well, furnished places are often horrible dark run down places used by men who've been kicked out by their wives or as shag-pads for their mistresses, or are expensive.

Hope you enjoy santiago, i personally can't stand the place (my girlfriend's chilena as well so i went there for a few months to be with her and go back on a regular basis). Couldn't wait to leave and get back to some culture, sophistication and clean air in buenos aires, although it makes things with the girlf a bit trickier...!
Don Alan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a smart move you made with Contact Chile! I suppose accomodation is just a big gamble and you might be lucky and then again maybe not. I was in Santiago for three weeks in September. It is an ugly city with little going for it and a no go area for asthma sufferers. However, the people I met through my Chilean girlfriend made it worthwhile and Matty are you sure that it�s not worth the sacrifice to be with the one you love? I�ve just left a good job in Spain in one of the nicest areas to go to that polluted city - all for love. By the way, did you teach English in Santiago and have you got any advice on that?
matttheboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the move for almost 4 months out of love and i can honestly say that this love would not have survived me staying in santiarsehole as it's a soul-sucking, polluted, god-forsaken hell-hole. I feel like my spirit is being rapidly crushed whenever i'm there and try to get away to the seaside as soon as possible. Good to hear you met some nice people, my girlf's friends were also really nice but i found, in general, people from santiago to be rude, arrogant, obnoxious, totally classist and extremely racist. The constant barging of people out of the way without any attempt to let people pass in the street, the glum and moody faces and total lack of 'disculpe' 'perdon' 'lo siento' and 'gracias' all made me want to get the hell out...and the language...my god.....pero me tinka que te vas a divertir po if you're with your girlf...although the food (except the great seafood) can be a bit hard on your guata, chachai??

As for teaching, i didn't work all that much but got private students through my girlfriend and her associates.
Don Alan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me haces reir con eso de cachai. Me recuerda de cuando mi novia estaba hablando. Fue asi: Fui con la Vicki, la Vero y la Claudia, cachai? Fuimos a un bar, cachai? etc etc They use the definite article before names which is not good Spanish. Having said that I think she speaks well. Comparing her with an argentina con quien salia antes the accent is quite similar although probably the argentina spoke better. But she was dead false and I went off Argentina after that.

By the way, if there is anyone going to Chile at the end of February or March and is looking to share a flat put yourself in contact with me.
matttheboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i've got so used to hearing my girlfriend's friends' names preceded by 'la' that i use it too when i'm there because 'Luli' just sounds wrong but 'la Luli' sounds right...wouldn't even cross my mind to do it here in Argieland...weird...it takes me a day or so to reorientate myself when i come back to Buenos Aires, the Italian accent throws me and i also start saying' ya ya ya ya ya ya' to everything as they do in chile. My girlfriend moans at me when i speak argentine as well!! And her friends laugh at me when i say 'y vos?'...
Don Alan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing of putting the definite article before names reminds me that each person is a world in itself.
Dennis Parish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind if I act like a Chileno and barge in your private conversation, guevones? I, too, am here as a victim of love. I, too, would leave this pit if I could but I'm sticking it out for now as I've lucked into some good work at the moment.

As for apartments, look for due�os when you rent because they're a bit more flexible - no less flaky than the corredores de propriedades but they can be less by the book as for paperwork. I went into El Mercurio's website when I was recently looking and you can use that as a wordsearch to focus on that.

P.S. cough, cough...
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez, hope that's not emphysema your coming down with dennis...love is, i think, the only reason anyone would choose to move there...the amount of foreign students i met (i lived in a foreigners' house with my girlfriend for the time i was there, low rent, all included very easy) who were absolutely kicking themselves for choosing santiago over buenos aires was amazing...i still recoil in shock and almost horror when i meet a foreigner who actually likes the city (i'm not including their friends in this equation by the way, just the city and its people in general) as i think they must be slightly mental and i tend to try to avoid nutters...

Why not move to mendoza and see the lady at weekends??

Que te vaya bien en la ciudad mas fea del mundo, pue!!
Don Alan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said previously, I went out with an Argentina here in Madrid and I ended up seeing Margaret Thatcher in a new light. See if you can work that one out!
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops, made a mistake, my post is now below... Embarassed

Last edited by matttheboy on Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that Argentinas are so up their own ars es that they eat their food twice but in general i find Argentines to be 100 times friendlier and open than Chileans. Also, Argentinas don't (normally) go out with a 'westerner' because he is a 'westerner', basically because the argie men look very similar. Chileans very much see 'catching' a foreigner as a huge jump in their social status.

My girlfriend is (honestly) not bothered about this aspect, she prefers to go out with me rather than a chileno because she doesn't like the latino attitude towards women but she's had to put up with friends and relatives saying things like 'Oh, well done, you went to England and brought back a man' (not actually true) and a couple of her relatives who hadn't said a word to her in years suddenly started talking to her again after they met me!! The country is so classist it's unbelievable and the way people treat each other reminds me very much of the decade of my childhood (the '80s), self-centred, money and class obsessed-you'll be seeing a lot of the Iron Lady out here Don Sad Sad

Argentina is much more relaxed and since the economic meltdown the people have had a long hard look at themselves and are very different. Less arrogant (Chileans have taken over the mantle as the most arrogant in South America now), friendlier, more polite, more cultured. They are a very proud people and make a lot of effort to look good and also to look after the city they live in. There's much more civic pride here, you get more dirty looks for dropping litter here for example and the local governments make sure that public spaces are looked after and lit up (something that just doesn't happen in Chile). Instead of tearing down old, historic buildings, like in santiago, here they are often restored and converted (my building is an incredibly beautiful old government building converted into flats) and they give subsidies to the owners of these buildings to keep them looking good. Of course not everything in Argentina is sweetness and light, the country's got some major problems (crime, corruption, the economy, Maradona-well he's my problem actually Evil or Very Mad) but it's just so far ahead of Chile in cultural terms that i think it's worth the (very) slight extra risk of being a victim of crime.

If i had the choice between santiago and pit full of excrement i'd choose that pit without needing to think...
Don Alan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Matty if you get married to this Chilean where are you going to live? Also tell me something about life in that flat you found with the kind help of Contact Chile. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: