Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sardinia???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
henrymorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Sardinia??? Reply with quote

Anyone have experience teaching in Sardinia? Advice/recommendations?

Thank you in advance,
HM.
Harri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's not too late to warn you....if you do get offered a job by Anglo American in Cagliari...be careful. Seriously. Apart from the video cameras in the corridor and microphones in the staff rooms (apparantly, this is not unusual for Italy), the guy who owns the school is not a very nice man. He'll work you into the ground and then reserve the right to either sack you at a moment's notice or, as the classes wind down at the end of the year, take you off your contract and put you on piece work. Then, once he's done this, you'll loose all your classes!! Nice, eh? If you do go, try and spend as little time as possible thinking/doing any work and make the most of the island - it's stunning and the people are amazing.
Hope this helps!
henrymorgan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the warning!! My apologies on taking so long to see it. I'd given up, and haven't checked this section in quite a while. I won't be heading to Sardinia for a year at the least. Some doors have opened here that will lead to a way out of wage slavery (I hope). Once I get things in motion I plan to head to Europe. I just secured EU citizenship so the ground is prepared. My goal with Sardinia wasn't to teach ESL as such, but I have experience and thought I might need that as an income. May still need to do it part time. My main goal is to base myself there to better pursue my travel lit writing, while also working on this other new area of Sports Performance Enhancement in Europe in general. I'm intrigued by Sardinia, just want to soak it up, live there for a couple years at least, write about it...

Any other advice you could offer about living/working in Sardinia would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, and thanks again!

Henry.
riachelini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: sardinia Reply with quote

Hey, Im so glad I checked this ssite - there currently is a vacancy advertised on the tefl site by anglo america in Sardinia and was seriously thinking of applying - thanks for the honest advice!
Ros
stephaniecaputo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: sardinia recommended Reply with quote

What? Could you be talking about the same Anglo-American Centre where I teach? How could you have had a negative experience at the school? Cameras in a corridor shouldn’t bother you. And if they do, I can see why you would think that the old, staticky, 1970’s intercom in the staff room is a spy microphone. The owner of the school IS a very nice man. He’s not only the boss at the school, he’s kind of like everyone’s uncle. He looks out for his teachers and has been known to get teachers rides, lend out his car, give advances on paychecks, help find housing, give advice on how to deal with the culture. If there are ever cancellations or if courses pop up or drop and you are scheduled this “piece work” as you call it, it’s to ensure that you get the same amount of hours and pay. Judging by your advice to “spend as little time as possible thinking/doing any work and make the most of the island” I can see why you didn’t have a great time there. Anglo is the most important English school on the island because of their high standards, if you don’t take pride in your work it’s not the place for you.
If you do, then it could be one of the most enriching experiences of your life.
It has been for me.
stephanie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: