Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I Find a hostel in Hong Kong?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EphemeralReal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Can I Find a hostel in Hong Kong? Reply with quote

Do you know where I can find a hostel in HK? We're going there tomorrow for our visa and my friend said there are places to stay for cheap. He said you can take the train there from the airport. I don't know where to go, so can anyone tell me how to get there?

We have to go to the visa office and all we've been told is that it's at the China travel agency. My boss isn't telling us exact directions.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be approached by numerous hostel "helpers" as you exit the airport.
Hong Kong has no shortage of short term cheap accommodation.
Chung King Mansions in Tsim Tsa Tsui is one of the cheapest and easiest to find if you don't mind the rats.
Good luck,
A.
Xenophobe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visa office is easy to get to. It is on the 40th floor of Tower One in the Lippo Centre. It is a unique building, sort of Gold/Amber coloured glass with all sorts of protrusions stickiing out of it. If you take MRT, get off at Admiralty Station, walk up to street level and follow the signs. It is fairly close, less than a block away.
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Mirador Mansion Reply with quote

Personally, I like Mirador Mansion over Chung King Mansion...the places at Mirador seems to be a little nicer. In particular, I would recommend Cosmic Guest House. The staff is nice and the rooms are clean, even if they are a little on the small side. Directions to the place are included on the website, and it you don't like the Cosmic, there are several other places you can try there.

Have fun in HK,
Kirk
Ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a little late for yourself but for anyone else...... Don't take the train from the airport. Take the bus. It is cheaper and, if you get on the right one, will take you directly onto Nathen Road, Kowloon where all of the 'mansions' are.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the Lippo Tower looks like.
http://www.alex4ever.de/hongkong/hito/ehito6.htm

Address:
Chung Hwa Travel Service (Taiwan)
4/F, Lippo Centre, Lippo Tower 1 89 Queensway, Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island

Phone: 2525 8315

The fastest way to get there is by the high speed airport train to Hong Kong Island then a taxi to the Lippo Tower.
Many people have made a visa run in one day. Apply in the morning and come back with a visa that night. Other people have tried and had a lot of problems because of time constraints and the bureaucratic attitude of that office.
I also read a report about Chang Hwa Travel opening an office at the Hong Kong airport in April 2003. I have not been able to confirm that the office was opened or that they support visa services for non Chinese. I have looked for it but was never able to find it.

Good luck,
A.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful stuff, these hostel listings. Any more?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: