Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Santiago, good place to live?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have the sun cream ready for Chile. Last time I went, when we went to Vi�a for the weekend, and that was september, I burnt my head really bad. I had no protection cause I didn�t reckon the sun was that strong at that time of year.

Getting back to life in Santiago, I have been reading Isabel Allende, who has published a book called ' Mi pais inventado.' Some quite interesting observations about her life in Chile and about the Chilean people although she has been living quite a long time in California and is married to an American. Certainly, she agrees with you Matty about the Chileans being rascist, classist and chauvinist. Also that they are not typical Latin Americans because they are quite serious, pessimistic people. She quoted some statistic about 40% of Chilean women suffer from depression which is not surprising given the attitude of the men. Also that 54% of married Chilean women say they have been unfaithful. No figures for the men but surely over 80%. Disturbing reading for those of us with Chilean girlfriends, and to think my girlfriend had the nerve to say she would cut my dick off and paste it to my forehead if I was unfaithful. I�m keeping an eagle on her now and I get yours chained down also Matty. Another interesting detail is that nearly every chilean household has dogs or cats or both and she remarked that a chilean family never buy a dog, for example, but take in a stray. From what I know that is very true because the dogs in my girlfriend�s house were taken in from the street. Interesting book, worth reading, although like a lot of writers tends to exaggerate a bit and furthermore she admits her family wasn't typically chilean in its thinking, attitudes and behaviour, but nevertheless seems quite happy to see herself as a bit of an expert.
matttheboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, interesting stats regarding female infidelity, i thought that was just a male issue in south america...time to shorten that leash methinks...

You should watch "sexo con amor", a chilean film made about 3 years ago which shows a pretty accurate portrayal of chilean society's attitude to shagging around...it's pretty funny sometimes as well although a bit lightweight.
eileen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you guys seen Mujeres Infieles yet? It came out before I left but I�m in Brazil for the summer so might not get a chance to see it. Yeah, there�s quite a lot of infidelity going on over there. Judging by people I know.
Don Alan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen that film. Do you think Chileans are more unfaithful than other nationalities you know? It makes me sad to think they are so many people cheating. Starting to think that the Scots are the most faithful race on earth or is that the rain dampens down our fire? Whatever it is there are not many two timers in Scotland in my opinion, and if there are I haven't met them.
Weona

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I in general think Chileans to be some of the most kind, generous, and warm in all of South America ... I am going to have to step up and say that yes, Chileans are also some of the most unfaithful.

True story: Started dating a Chilean man a few months back and after about a month of seeing each other, he tells me he's married. To a NORTH AMERICAN. Apparently she was visiting family in the States while he was fooling around. After he told me he didn't seem to understand why I didn't want to see him anymore. (!) (!) Huh?

Yeah, let's just say that was a bad experience. I've also had Chilean friends who cheated on their significant other but weren't married. Both men and women seem to have their fair share of extra-marital activities but it seems like men do it with more frequency. Or maybe that's just the stereotype being in such a machista country.

Haven't seen mujeres infieles yet but it looks interesting. Maybe I'll see it this weekend....
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is a Latin America-wide thing. Mexico seems the same...much infidelity. I hear similar stories about Costa Rica. Brasil, and Argentina.

Then again, is the US or the UK different? I once read an article somewheres, don't ask me where, that said up to 25% of children in the UK had fathers who were not the ones they thought. Who knows?

My mom played it safe and married the milkman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmm, there are going to be a lot of questions when i get to Chile next week to see my girlfriend after a 5 week trip back to England!!!!!!

The Argentine men definitely have the most machismo in Latin America (that's quite some feat)-it's the Italian mixed in with Latin American that's the problem. Instead of just staring and going 'pssst' at good looking women (like in the Andean countries) or making a comment like 'Wow, you're beautiful", Argie men say things like "I'd like to put my c*ck between your t*its", "Come back to my place and i'll *beep* you till you scream" and "If i were 60 years younger i'd lock you in my bedroom and make you suck it". All comments i've overheard in the street (well, i hope they weren't directed at me!!!) or that were aimed at my girfriend...

The amount of times i've heard people say "i've never cheated on my wife/girlfriend...in my heart..." They find it amazing that i live in Buenos Aires, have a girlfriend in Santiago yet manage to keep everything in my pants, most Argentine men genuinely don't understand the concept of fidelity and it's quite scary.

Talking to Argentine women, they have told me they prefer European men not because they see a new life in Europe and a shiny new passport with a handsome blue-eyed boy (there are enough Argies like that), but because European men treat them with more respect and, generally, don't 2 time them.
Don Alan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the impression I have to a certain extent is that a British man or woman may go off with someone else but usually after their relationship has aready failed but that in a loving relationship they generally don't consider being unfaithful whereas a Latin American man or perhaps woman reason things in another way, that if they feel passion for someone it's ok to cheat even on someone you love. Obviously that is speaking very in general and there will be plenty of exceptions. Being a sensitive soul who has never cheated I find that really sad.

Matty if you are sending a parcel by Parcel Force remember to send it economy rate because it is a lot cheaper and the price you said of �250 for 20kilos is much more than necessary. I have the leaflet here and economy rate for 20 kilos works out at �110.
Weona

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm with you on that, Don. I also feel the same way in the states. Men or women tend to cheat more so after they have come to terms with their relationship or marriage failing. The Chileno that I was dating had only been married a year and his wife had only been out of the country two weeks when he decided to cheat on her. I asked him if he sincerely loved her and told me that he did. Huh? Am I missing something here?

"What are you doing with me then?"
"Having fun"

Let's just say we never saw each other again. What I found interesting is that he continued to call me.
Don Alan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did the right thing in giving him the boot as quick as possible. These guys just live a constant lie, lying to everyone in order to sustain their pathetic lives. It doesn't surprise me that he kept phoning you, they're so vain they can't accept being told no. Imagine being married or having a relationship with someone like that, you could never trust anything he said. Well done! If you permit me to make a suggestion: don't let these latinos even hold your hand for at least a month, that way you'll see if he is sincere or not, and meantime you can try to figure him out and see what he's really looking for!
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem that all this infidelity causes me is that my girlfriend can't understand how i have so many female friends back in England. She, and the vast majority of latins i've met, just don't have many friends of the opposite sex. Latinos think that being friends with a girl means they're going to sleep with her and latinas think that all men think that! This leads to the 'logical' conclusion that i want to sleep with all my female friends.

I have female Argentine friends and i have to lie if i want to visit them (they live in Mendoza) even though nothing would ever happen with them (i know that and they know that).

Madness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: