Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can You Advise Me About Teaching Private Lessons?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speakeasy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Can You Advise Me About Teaching Private Lessons? Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been teaching at a private English school for adults in Qro for about a month now. My job is actually quite good, as private schools go, but the schedule stinks, I'm already bored, and of course, I'm not saving enough money.
So, I want to start teaching some private calsses, during my siesta, and on weekends. Can any of you give me advice about getting started? I'd love to hear your thoughts on finding clients, approaches to teaching, what to charge, etc. I'd also appreciate recommendations for good teaching resources, and any other advice that seems pertinent.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me!
-Speakeasy-
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: My thoughts on this Reply with quote

Keeping in mind that things vary greatly from location to location, I'll share a bit about my experiences giving private lessons and offer a couple of suggestions.

It's best to make sure that the arrangements are understood by your students in advance, and you need to set the "rules." Collect your money in advance. Either have students pay by the week, by the quincena, by the month, or whatever, but get the money in advance. Come to an understanding as far as what happens in case students cancel at the last minute (or just don't show up at all,) if they arrive late or need to leave early, etc. Having these things agreed upon in advance will save you lots of grief later.

I've found that those students who have a specific goal in mind (usually preparing to pass a particular exam) tend to be the most reliable. This also gives you as a tutor a better idea of how to prepare for the sessions and what specific things the students need to work on. However, be ready to give the students what they want. Some may want nothing more than a conversation partner who's willing to correct their errors. Others may want a very structured, grammar-based approach, because they feel more comfortable with it. Any good text book series should work well as a guide for creating a syllabus of sorts.

In the city where I live, 100 pesos/per hour per group of up to 3 students at a time and at the same level is standard fee. Individual tutoring usually goes for 40-50 pesos per hour, especially if the student comes to your house or meets you at a place convenient for you rather than you having to travel to his/her house. I would imagine in many cities, such as DF, for example, the rates would be much higher.

Personally, I prefer to avoid giving private lessons. They tend to be more of a hassle than they're worth. (However, I'm trying to get either fewer hours or a better schedule at school, so that's another reason I'm not too interested in private lessons.) Too many students start out very enthusiastically, but their interest drops quickly. They find something else they'd rather spend their money on, or other activities prevent them from attending sessions regularly.

Best wishes!
stewgreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Keep the price high Reply with quote

professional work merits professional pay.

I bill at 150 per hour for one hour and discount from there depending on whether they pay cash, book a lot of hours etc . Seems plenty of people can afford it.

OK some Mexican schools do charge about 30 or even 20 pesos an hour per studen. They study for 6 months and don`t learn anything, so it turns out to be poor value
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: