Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in the Middle East

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Awang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Jobs in the Middle East Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm currently teaching in Japan for a group of English language schools.
I'm looking at teaching English in the ME next, after my contract expires here. Can anyone give me info for Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait and Qatar please. I'm looking more for info regarding the public school system, rather than the language schools. However if that is the only info you have, please send it. I want to know especially about salaries, benefits, accomodation etc.

Info on the entire process would be really appreciated.

By August of next year, I will be teaching for one year. I have a BA and a CELTA. I'm over thirty years old and I'm male.

Thanks in advance
Awang
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awang,

I would suggest that you read the many posts on Dave's in all the countries that you are interested in. I think that with a bit of time you would find many, if not most of your questions answered many times.

Do a bit of research on your own and when you have some specific questions, come back and ask them.

Generally speaking, with your limited education and experience your possibilities are limited, and the pay will be low. (while the cost of living is high)

VS
Awang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Jpbs in the Middle East Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply vs. What do you think would be an acceptable level of education and experience? Also, do you think the cost of living is as high as it is in Japan. I'm teaching for Shane Schools here and we literally pay more rent than a Japanese person would pay for the same kind of accomodation. We also pay for utilities and medical insurance. Is it the same in over there?

Thanks once again.
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awang, I have never taught in UAE, but from what I've read over the years, most of the decent jobs are for people with a related Masters and minimum 3 years experience. Most people have far more than 3 years though, probably more like 10. The ME is not a place for a newbie to get their feet wet. You've only been teaching a few months at this point, if I were you, I'd put in a few more years before heading to the ME. If you're unhappy, there must be better places than Shane in Japan and Korea is not as bad as people make it out to be.
I am currently doing a Masters and when I'm done I'm seriously conseidering going to UAE with my family. At that point I will also have 11 years of teaching experience.
Awang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Jobs in the Middle East Reply with quote

Thanks Gordon

I've seen jobs that was not too bad, for qualifications like mine. I am also currently studying towards postgrad qualifications. Are you saying that in order to teach at a public school in the ME, I would need a Masters? I'm trying to gather as much info as I can from as many sources as I can.

Thanks again
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Veiled Sentiments said, it would be a good idea to read the forums for the various countries you're interested in. Look at the job adverts and search the forums for posts related to the schools that interest you. Also check out the Job Information Journal. As you gather information, you'll think of more specific questions to ask, at which point you're likely to get more helpful responses. It's difficult to respond to such a vague inquiry.

Good luck with your job search!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awang

The market for ESL/EFL in the Middle East is predominantly at the tertiary level. I have rarely known anyone who taught in the 'public schools' there. (they are not called that) I have known some that taught in the international schools, but they always have certification from their countries to teach either elementary schools or secondary schools. (ie... a BA in education with state certification in the US case...) The non-international schools for Arabic speakers generally have teachers from the sub-continent or other Arab countries teaching English.

I'd recommend that anyone planning to come and teach in the ME get their MA and get experience at teaching academic English - at the tertiary level.

But, as I said before... read this board and then you will see the actual situation without everyone having to repeat themselves. Smile

VS
Awang

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Jobs in the Middle East Reply with quote

Thanks VS, Gordon, Ka-ching. I really appreciate your input. If and whenever you have anything else you feel I should know, feel free to post it. I really want to gather as much as I can.

I will continue doing as much research as I can from as may sources as I can.

Thanks and have a happy, safe and successful new year!
Awang

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Jobs in the Middle East Reply with quote

Thanks VS, Gordon , Ka-ching and everyone else. I really appreciate your input. If and whenever you have anything else you feel I should know, please continue to post it. I really want to gather as much as possible.

I will continue doing as much research as possible from as many sources as I can.

Thanks and have a happy, safe and successful new year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: