Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMIDEAST ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: AMIDEAST ?? Reply with quote

Does anyone know about this operation ? Any stories (good or bad ??)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is rather an open question. They are an American organization that offers English lessons around the Middle East - from Morocco to the Gulf. I have known a number of people who taught for them - both part and full time. They always got paid on time, but the pay varies by country I believe. As far as I know, they are pretty legit...
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: TOEFL? Reply with quote

Dear matador,
I believe they used to run the TOEFL testing, back before it went to computers. I was the TOEFL guy here for quite a while, administering the tests about 4 times a year, and that was the name of the organization I corresponded with.
Regards,
John
P.S. By the way, veiledsentiments, saw you on the Thorn Tree the other day ( Or was that you? It's hard to tell, what with the veil ).
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: web site Reply with quote

Dear matador,
Although i suspect you've already been there, here's their website:

http://www.amideast.org/

and, more specifically, the " Information for teachers " page:

http://www.amideast.org/programs_services/elt/info_teachers/default.htm

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Yes, John Reply with quote

Yes, I left my lamp here so that is probably why you didn't recognize me. Smile
M@tt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: AMIDEast Reply with quote

They are a very legitimate org, tied to the US govt. I think and therefore not going to run or disappear overnight.

I interviewed with the branch in Tunis and the experience was very enjoyable. Totally professional, friendly, etc. The director and everyone else was (were?) very helpful, which made it much harder to turn the job down. I also wrote to several other branches but I think none of them were hiring at the time so it didn't go far. I know in Egypt there are two branches, and probably two or more in Tunisia by now. Indicentally, I turned the whole region down, not just AMIDEast.
Good luck.
grand fromage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: AMIDEAST Reply with quote

They used to be consultants for a few military schools in te UAE, of which MLI is the most well known. However just a month ago, their contract was not renewed and they are history in the UAE. Depending on who you talk to, they were either liked and appreciated or not. Personally, I found some of their team very competent and fair, while a few, including their MLI supervisor, somewhat on a self-serving side. However, even that self-preservation approach did not save their jobs. Ironically, they were let go in a fashion that a few of the teachers here have experienced from the army: witout any warning, much notice or explanation why (in fact, they were already informed that they would be renewed!). Good luck David, John, and Vance. Martin doesn't need the good wishes as he stayed on to work for the army directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: