Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drinking Rules...You're Goin'to Drive Me to Drinkin'...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnix

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Drinking Rules...You're Goin'to Drive Me to Drinkin'... Reply with quote

if you don't stop drivin' that hotrod Lincoln.

Anyway,my modest contribution of rules while drinking.Some completely serious...some completely facetious....

1.Do not take your passport,other important papers,credit cards or a lot of cash with you to the bar,especially if you contemplate a long night.especially if the bars are seedy...and well,even if they AREN"T seedy.This seems like common sense,but I have known people who have had their cash,passport,and credit cards all stolen.Why do you need a passport at a bar,anyway?Sigh... Rolling Eyes

2.Remember where you parked the car.especially in a strange city.If you are inebriated, it is difficult to find the old jalopy,especially at night("Now where in the @#@#!! did I park that thing?)

3.Do not lend your car to ANYONE while drinking...especially "new friends" you have just met...even if they have bought you four or five drinks Rolling Eyes

4.Beware of long road trips ,especially with strangers("Aw c'mon....it's only a couple of hundred miles away...don't be a party pooper!!)

5.Beware of people who like to try daredevil stunts while drinking...or even worse...want YOU to try daredevil stunts("Hey! Betcha can't climb that watertower! Go ahead! We will wait right here for you!")

Okay,I am sure you all have your own favorites.... Smile
gerard

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnix---as for 1 I believe you are required to carry your passport by law ouitside your home country. But yes be careful I have had 2 stolen (1 from a Korean apartment) and Canada are threatening not to give me another one if it happens again.

My main rule is this: Do not make decisions. Do not quit a job or ask a girl out or bring up touchy subjects etc. etc. Just sit there and drink and behave yourself.

And yes keep your valuables locked up in a bank safe.

I know this is a cliche but dont drive-even a bicycle. If you have the cash to go out drinking budget for a taxi.

And only stay in good hotels-ones with a safety box.

Cheers.
little horsey

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple that might cancel out a couple of your's...

6. Never drink and drive.

7. Never ride with anyone who's driving drunk.
Celeste

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never agree to any "body art" while inebriated.

Never leave a credit card with a bartender so you can run a tab.

Always eat before you go out drinking, not after (so many people I know in Asia try to keep from getting sick by ingesting a bowl of "magic" noodles at 4am- never works, the noodles ususally reappear on the sidewalk within 20 minutes).

Never give out your address or phone number to people you meet in the bar- if you must have contact with these people again, give them your e-mail address. (It is much cheaper to change your e-mail address if the person turns out to be nuts.)

Keep your cab fare separate from your booze money- or you may have a long walk home.
bnix

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Carrying the Passport with You Reply with quote

In response to Gerard's statement that you are required by law to carry your passport in a foreign country...well,,,maybe in some foreign countires...but not in all.For example.in Korea,you are given an alien registration card...you carry that in lieu of a passport.In Saudi,you carry something called an "iqama" in lieu of the passport.Of course,in Saudi,you will not be doing much barhopping,anyway. Smile

And as for the two rules someone else mentioned:Don't drink and drive.or ride with someone else who has been drinking...I agree absolutely.That is the very serious side....and too bad everyone does not heed that person's excellent advice.
Mosley

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard: In some countries(e.g. Japan,S. Korea) you don't have to have your passport w/you as long as you have an alien registration card on your person.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Only one rule - for me Reply with quote

Dear bnix,
My own personal rule about drinking ( I have only one ) is - if you can't handle the stuff, if you drink to get drunk, not for " social purposes " ( as used to be the case with me ) then DON'T ( drink, that is ).
Regards,
Relatively clean and totally sober ( inshallah ) John
bnix

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: And That is a Good Rule,Johnslat... Reply with quote

But of course a lot of people don't follow that one.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: drinking rules Reply with quote

..and finally,always remember,she won't look like Uma Thurman in the morning.
gerard

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when the "backspace" button disappears on the computer. What is up with that??? I need to post a reply just to get back to the main menu.

Anyway yes I guess if you have an ARC you don't need to carry your passport. In China I have a foreign expert card which (I think) is good enough. Although the residence card itself says it must be accompanied with a passport.

All that being said I have never actually had to produce documents and I hope that continues. But you never know.

(Celeste I liked your post about the gun-weilding cabbie. But that was another post. Could be good drinking advice though---don't get in a car with a psychotic weapon-bearing taxi driver in a strange country.)
Shaman

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two other items that really should come equipped with a breathalyzer:

- oven
- computer (more specifically, e-mail)

Shaman
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: lay off that C2H5OH Reply with quote

It grieves me to agree with johnslat but he is right about C2H5OH.

Do we have any friends of Bill Wilson out there ?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the passport and/or ID thing varies from country to country. In the UK you don't have to carry anything and as far as I know this goes for non UK nationals too. Having grown up with this I never carry my passport anywhere except onto a plane.

Here are my tips:

Put your house keys on a chain around your neck.
Leave your car at home.
Keep a spare bank note in your shoe for emergencies.
Never wear a hat, scarf or gloves as they will not make it home.
leonie553

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: To Little Horsey Reply with quote

How did you get such a big avatar?
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: One size fits all Reply with quote

Dear leonie553,
" How did you get such a big avatar?"
What? You mean your inbox hasn't been flooded by hundreds of spam messages offering all sorts of ways to make your avatar bigger? But don't bother checking them out - you're stuck with ( or perhaps I should say, your partner is stuck with ) the avatar you were born with. Besides, despite what some may say - size doesn't really matter.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: