Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UAEU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheikItUp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: UAEU Reply with quote

Hello!

I am new to this forum. (I joined due to a recent job offer in the Gulf)
Anyone out there know anything about the housing dept. at UAEU?

I saw (in a 2 year old post) that new teachers at the time were getting "new and luxurious" housing apartments in a complex with its own grocery store. But I'm not sure how "true" that post will turn out to be.

Anyone a current, new, past UAEU teacher, or at least know of any that may be able to give me some information on the subject? It's only me and my wife, BUT I'm kind of scared about getting a really old, problem-ridden, apartment. ANY suggestions would be appreciated. Please be HONEST, and if you don't mind...KIND. Thank you.

Last edited by SheikItUp on Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:25 am; edited 10 times in total
Generasian X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

"Nevermind"

Last edited by Generasian X on Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you about UAEU, but I am speechless to think that you can't save much in Japan after making over 10 million yen/year on your 2 salaries and no kids. That's an enormous amount of money even in Japan.
SheikItUp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To GENERASIAN X: You're funny! and Sorry!?!

To GORDON: Yeah, IF I in fact made THAT MUCH, I'd be crazy to leave, but my wife is only a part-time ALT through INTERAC. About 2 days a week. She was a JET though (2 years) and has a CELTA degree.

Last edited by SheikItUp on Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thnk you will have a difficult/impossible time finding a comparable wage in UAE. I asked a smilar question about what expected wages are in UAE and your offer looked reasonable from what I was told.

I think you have to look at the benefits package and saving potential for wages in the UAE because the wages are quite low when you convert the salary IMO.
SheikItUp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: hmm? Reply with quote

Sorry, GORDON, what is IMO?

(Like I said, I'm new here...)
Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion, sorry.
nomadykaty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that the teachers that came in 2003 were put into a new apartment complex. But there is a down side to it- they are still under construction. The building that UGRU has is finished but all around it is being worked on.

You can e-mail the housing depart about your concerns. The university has some new villas but housing is really a luck of the draw.

If you can come early- with the first group of teachers. You have a better chance of getting what you want.
SheikItUp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you nomadykaty.

But what is the "early" group?

Do teachers start in different months, or are they flown into the UAE (same month) but in different groups?

I mean, would one have any control whether or not they were in the "early" group?

Thanks again!
spicegirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the 'early' group, Nomadykaty means that for example, you might arrive on 15th August with a batch of teachers, only to find that a few people flew in on 13th August and have begun their in-processing. Others may be arriving on 19th August, for example. I have no idea how this comes about - possibly because of the date of your air ticket. Nobody's really 'early' or 'late' in that case, but I imagine they don't want all the new teachers arriving at the same time at Abu Dhabi or Dubai airports - it's difficult for the pick-up and greet people to find everyone .... So it seems to be staggered.

As far as the building with the supermarket under it goes - the flats are nice and big. Luxurious depends on your expectations, but yes, they're new and clean. Whether or not you get one of those depends on lots of things: how many are vacant at the time you arrive (this will depend on how many of the present occupants are leaving in June), your family situation, possibly (e.g. if you're single, but there's only a 'family-size' flat available, then they'll probably put you somewhere else). There are lots of older flats still in use by UAEU teachers. There are often plumbing problems and other niggles, but sometimes there are advantages to living in other locations: e.g. it might be nearer to the campus where you work every day, you might not want to be living surrounded by other people you work with every day, you might have a patio or balcony (the new flats down town don't have any 'outside' space like that).

It should be said that at the moment, most UGRU teachers do not live in new flats.
SheikItUp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Ahh, yes! Reply with quote

Ahh, yes! Very good points. Being close to work is a good thing!

As for access to campus. When teachers arrive, and they don't have cars...How is it getting to and from campus? Is the bus service quite good?
nomadykaty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion. By the early/ late group- I just mean that there are 2 main groups for UAEU processing (airport pick up, orientation, banking, housing etc).

The first / early group usually arrives by the second week of August and then a week later the second group arrives. And then there are people that arrive after that.

You might have some control over this. A lot of this is based on your schedule-wrapping up a contract somewhere else or if you need to get children enrolled in school over here. Ask HR about this-they are pretty good about preferences.

If you have an option- the first group is good. This gives you a chance to sort out your housing, buying furniture etc.

Everyone is in country and processed within about a week or more to spare before classes start.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that it is always good to arrive as early as possible in any Gulf job. This may allow you to have a bit more of a choice in housing. But, it is always a crapshoot. Wink

The fact is that you can have problems with new flats as much as old ones. I was in a new flat in Abu Dhabi and while it was very nice - it took the AC people 3 months to get it working correctly (I either froze or melted...).

As to transport, I expect that most people rent a car until they can buy one. This is like suburban US, you NEED a car to do much of anything. Busing it may be possible, but is a horror when it is 40+ degrees outside.

Be sure to bring your current driving license from home (US, UK, wherever) with more than a year to run - and bring a letter from a car insurance company saying that you have had no claims for 2 years if you can - it will cut your car insurance premium about in half.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: