Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Married Here
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Getting Married Here Reply with quote

Anyone have experience marrying an Indonesian here? The list of rules I've seen calls for a lot of documents. For example:
Certificate of the religious marriage,
Passport for foreign citizens, or KTP (Identity card) for Indonesian citizens,
Certified birth certificate, legalized and translated into Bahasa Indonesia,
Certified divorce decree (absolute) or death certificates regarding the termination of all previous marriages,
Proof that all taxes for the foreigner were paid,
Certificate of the structure of your family
Certificate of birth for all your legal children
Certificate of religion
Certificate of your marital status
Four 4 x 6 cm photos, both partners side by side,
Foreign citizens: 'Letter of No Impediment to Marriage' issued by your Consular Representative,
For Indonesian citizens: never married: a Surat Keterangan Belum Kawin from RT, Kepala Desa or Lurah (district chief); Men aged 18-21 and women aged 16-21:

Shocked I doubt if I could collect all these in 2 years! Are they really necessary?
Also, I found that Indonesians can marry in a foreign country, much simpler. But does it have to be in foreign spouse's home country?

Any suggestions, help would be appreciated:)
opo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about most of this stuff but I know you have to show a divorce certificate if you are and in the case of few guys I know they actually had to change their religion to islam which isn't that big of a deal unless your a religious person. Otherwise it's just for show. But they had to talk to the minister (whatever it's called in Islam) to pledge your faith. But for all the other stuffI don't recall anybody having any trouble with what your talkin bout.

Cheers
Winmarr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to do what opo said. I'm not a religious soul though, so it didn't bother me.
Chester

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marriage.
well to an Islamic woman, i dont know.
i understand its complicated, not just for the ritual and ceremony, but after.
many moslems have totally different views of life and lifestyles, and if you marry a moslem and live in indonesia be prepared for that.
i married a christian woman and it was not complicated.
marrying into a family of islamic faith .........i dont know.
maybe other punters who contribute here can help.
i know people who have married out of indonesia - christian and moslem - eg in the US, and returned to Indonesia and have experienced scorn ( wooo-hoooo)

i sound like the reverend from the simpsons.

good luck
hairyrambutan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Married with children Reply with quote

hhh

Last edited by hairyrambutan on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
willy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. hairyrambutan thats the truth thats why my babys are indo.
and probelms (like i dont trust other woman) just life here
arodeorowdy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: I want to marry... Reply with quote

But I can't figure out which one I would make the best wife.

I'm interested in marrying a filipina cuz they speak english, not that I can't learn Indonesian, I have when I was there, and because their Catholic/Christian, as I. But then I have heard from a few, who have both Pinay and Indo. wives and they all seem to say that Indo girls/women make the better wives than do Pinays.
Their reasons are: Indo. girls are just less independent than Pinays and a few other things which I won't mention.

Can I get any thoughts from you?

Cheers, Rowdy
Chester

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no comparison between Indonesian women and filipo.
indonesian women win on all counts.
even if they are moslem, the marriage can be "arranged" for around 5 juta, depending on who the brides family knows.
my marriage was to a christian, which was really smoooth - and fun

indo women are just THE finest.
'tis true.

so says the wisdom of chester

ps.

SID, i have had a few "tipples" - hence my poor spellingh
please doooooooooo pardon me "guvna"
Joachim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arodeorowdy,

ever considered marrying someone from your own country??

Now, there's a thought!

Or that maybe Indonesians and Philipinas aren't at all desperate to marry you??!
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always take a trip over the Straights and get married in Singapore. That is if your wife to be's folks don't do a mental about you having a non-muslim marriage.
Chester

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooner dip me "potatoes" in acid than marry a "western girl.
'te be sure.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not wrong there. Once bitten by the Indonesian bug, there aint no turning back boy!
arodeorowdy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: WHAT??? Reply with quote

Joachim - have I ever thought of marrying an American...several times...what stopped me then? I wasn't ready (although I had at least 3 chances I'm glad it didn't happen, otherwise I would've missed out on so much that's happened since). Now that I am ready...I'm no longer interested in them. Why? Bcuz most of 'em are too fat for me and the truth is...they don't age as well as most S.E.Asian girls I see. Most S.E.Asian girls look about 5 - 10 years younger than they are. Dam they just look better!

US. Gov. statistics: 67% of Americans are overweight and 15% are obese. Do you fall into one of these categories???

I'm 6'6", 190 lbs., decent looking, but all of my past American g/f's thought I was handsome. So to an American girl, I'm one of a million, but to an Asian girl I'm one of a few, SURE THAT FEELS GOOD! That attention is great! So what??? The last American g/f I had was all the way back in '95. Ain't had one since, but I've had many Eastern European g/f's over the last 6 years; Polish, Czech, Ukrainian, Russian. I don't appologize for this either.

All my life I was ONLY attracted to white women...that is until I discovered S.E. Asians. In fact, I was a "softcore" redneck until my first trip to Asia 2 1/2 years ago. Before this first trip my attitude was: If I saw a white guy with an Asian girl I thought there must be s/t wrong with him bcuz he obviously can't get a white girl. That's what I used to think, I'll admit I was ignorant not racist. I just couldn't understand the attraction to Asian girls; I went to high school next to San Francisco which has a VERY LARGE Asian population. Now my motto is: Once you go Asian...you don't go back to Caucasian Wink

A new idea I thought about last night. Is it the Indo girls that are special or their Islamic upbringing??? If it's the fact that their muslim then I could find an Islamic filipina. They should have the same qualities that their muslim sisters have across the way shouldn't they. And the OTHER THING that's an interesting thought. I've asked muslim girls if it's okay to have several wives, as allowed by Islam, and they ALL told me, "as long as you take care equal". So, this is only a thought, but an interesting one. If I love a girl I don't need another.

I'm in Shenzhen, but will be in HK in 2 1/2 hours, I leave as soon as I finish here, and I have met Indo's, Thai's and Pinays and I love the accent of the Pinays, but not the Indo girls which may not seem important to you but it is to me. Ok, ok enough already.

Really, I've been playing a tennis match in my head about which one would make the best wife...Indo/Pinay. Thank's for all your comments...good/bad. Chester, could you expand on your opinions?

Cheers to all, Rowdy
Chester

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I've had relations, with girls of all nations.." I think Billy Bragg said that.
I feel the mix of portuguese and dutch and so on with the Indonesian has created the perfect woman. not just the body, but also indonesian women are just sooooooooooooo sweet.
Philipino girls i found - well........, short. Also a bit fanatical with christianity. some were just damn untrustworthy.
i agree about eastern european women being sexy, but many are sooo arrogant.
south american girls are nice, but too westernized.
japanese are silly.or work - a holics.
australian women are just plain sour.
brit girls are nice, but boring.

i swore i would never marry, until i came to Indonesia. married her three months after we met.
never regretted it for a second.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeez Chester, sweeping comments there. All those negative traits you atribute to Filipinas, Japanese etc etc. are all to be found among Indonesian women. I have met plenty of Indonesian women who are anything but sweet. On the whole though ,they are great, but maybe not completely lacking a negative side? Just coz she'll go to the shops and make you coffee and food and do anything you say without question, doesn't neccessarilly make her the best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: