Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At the Beginning.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToFFs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: At the Beginning..... Reply with quote

Hi there Dave's people,

Firstly, bear with me, I'm new to the TEFL world!! (sorry)

Bet you have load of these kind of posts, but hoping that a few of you good people could help me along the way. Had a problem - with a dream job I was going to land - somewhere in between the oral and the written contract so I am back at square 1. Sad

I'm having real problems trying to find a job again, is it really the best idea to look through the internet? I am qualified with a CELTA certificate BUT am not caucasian and am unable to stay for a full years contract as have to return to UK in october to complete my degree.

Vague questions I know Rolling Eyes BUT: Where would you suggest the best place is to go esp for someone who likes a lively atmosphere? I am keen on Asia and have tried China also. What do you think would be the best Asian country, and would accept someone with an up to 8 mth contract? Has anyone had a shorter term contract before, and where?

Instead, is it a good idea to go to Spain and search for on-the-spot work? Generally is there something like a recruitment fair anywhere or somewhere I can have a proper chat with someone about info on job hunting? I feel like I'm not getting anywhere with this job hunting on the internet, just going round and round and round in circles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of questions I know, but I am starting to get VERY worried. Don't want to be stuck in this place too long! Wink

Any reply at all would be VERY VERY much appreciated!!!!! Very Happy
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: At the Beginning..... Reply with quote

Quote:
Vague questions I know Rolling Eyes BUT: Where would you suggest the best place is to go esp for someone who likes a lively atmosphere? I am keen on Asia and have tried China also. What do you think would be the best Asian country, and would accept someone with an up to 8 mth contract? Has anyone had a shorter term contract before, and where?

China may be a good possibility, but I think that I would suggest Thailand. I was teaching there from 1988-1992, and make frequent trips back (I'm going again next week). Things are cheap in Thailand, so you could easily just hang out until you find a job. More info on Thailand at:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?Thailand

http://www.eslcafe.com/thailand

Quote:

Generally is there something like a recruitment fair anywhere or somewhere I can have a proper chat with someone about info on job hunting? I feel like I'm not getting anywhere with this job hunting on the internet, just going round and round and round in circles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TESOL will have their Employment Clearinghouse job fair in April. Check their site at:

http://www.tesol.org

And there are always the jobs I have listed at:

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist

Post your resume at:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/wanted

Be very specific that you are looking only for a short-term contract.

Good luck to you!

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
ToFFs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: not fully uni qualified Reply with quote

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your reply. That sounds like a great idea but I had a look at the website for Thailand you mentioned and they said that I require a batchelors degree, however, I have taken some time out of university in between honours and ordinary year, therefore I haven't got a degree as yet (I have an equivalent of an ordinary degree, but I'm going to complete my honours). Do you, having worked in the country before, think that this is a real problem?

Many thanks!
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: no one said it would be easy! Reply with quote

ToFFs,

With no degree, and a desire to quit in less than a year, you are going to be very limited in Japan. Practically all contracts are for a year. Your lack of degree can be sidestepped in your case if you are a British citizen. In your case you can get a working holiday visa instead of a work visa. Do that, put some money in your pocket, and come to Japan. You'll be available for interviews. For more information on comparing the job hunt in Japan from abroad vs. from within Japan, drop me a line and ask for my info.
nomadder

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted to revive an old thread at random. Actually met a girl today and she taught and Thailand and said the Thais are really fun and like games. Sounds like my kind of place. She taught there for a few months, Japan for a few months and now Costa Rica where she teaches 2 months and then has 1 month off. Nice. And I thought I had a short attention span. Laughing Also met someone whose friend taught 6 months in HK and saved alot. Maybe short term is the way to go sometimes though wouldn't you feel you were just making progress and it was time to leave/%/%//(=''''????Sorry weird keyboard here.
shmooj

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khmerhit's busy but he just called me and asked me to recommend

Cambodia

He said you should try it and see

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: